Canine Behavior/Dog playing

Question
My dog is a dachshund/ border collie and I adopted him when he was 1 1/2 years old. He is 3 years old now. When we first got him he was very energetic but didn't wag his tail very much, now he wags it much more adamantly and often. When I play with him he seems to enjoy himself by 'bowing' and growling in a non-aggressive way. But while I'm playing with him during tug of war or something similar he doesn't wag his tail during the activity. He seems to enjoy himself and re-initiates play when I stop, but if he doesn't wag his tail is he really having fun? Or does it not mean anything at all?
Thanks

Answer
A dog can wag its tail while in full attack mode with intention to harm (a human, another dog, a cat, etc.)  Perhaps the tug of war game is being taken a big too seriously with your DoxieX.  I suggest you use the take it/leave it technique found here on Dr. Ian Dunbar's web site to teach your dog to "leave it" on command:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIJV8oGphg&feature=related

Once your dog has learned "leave it" is rewarding, he will follow your cue (command); at that point, YOU keep the toy. Stand up and walk away WITH the toy.  You must understand that "play" to a dog is not quite the same thing as "play" to a child.  In the dog culture, "play" is FUN (if both dogs have solid temperament) BUT it is, first and foremost, a test of social hierarchy.  Between two dogs that know each other well, ONE will be higher in social hierarchy than the other (perceptible only to someone who can expertly read dog body language or an experienced owner); during tug of war, both dogs will be enjoying the experience but ONE will always acquiesce to the other (given that all things remain the same in their relationship).

His re-initiation of tug of war when you stop indicates to me that he is confused about social hierarchy because you do NOT keep the toy, you relinquish it.  Try the "take it/leave it" (and do not play tug of war with him until he learns to respond immediately) and you will see a different interaction.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.