Canine Behavior/my dog stressess.

"Dear Madeline, I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback."

My question is: I have an American Eskimo that is 1 1/2yrs old. Female. Her name is Teaka. When this certain ad comes on TV, she runs over to me. Flips her ears down and literally cries. It is the lullably song that those wind up carousels have for babies.
 We bought her from a very reputable breeder when she was 3 months old. I have asked the breeder about this, and she does not have any ideas. Teaka knows even after 5 notes have been played.My husband tried to copy it on his phone and play it on a organ type app, she did not respond to that at all. Any ideas why she responds only to that song?

Hi Debra,

I was on the fence about answering this question as I'm not familiar with the t.v. ad and there's not much information about Teaka's reaction, certainly not enough to convince me her reaction to the ad is that of "stress.". I have no idea what the song sounds like, but I'll do my best to venture a few guesses. I'm also at a liability because I can't see what Teaka's doing when the ad comes on. If you would like to re-submit the question with audio, I'd like to hear it, and even a visual of Teaka's behavior when she hears it, so I can see what she's doing. So, here goes:

Most likely, she is responding to the frequency on which the song is played on the t.v. It is either on a frequency that may be hurting her ears, or something about the song at that frequency which may be triggering her desire to howl or otherwise vocalise. The song at that frequency may possibly be triggering a memory. As far as memory goes, she may have made an association of some sort with the audio of the song on the t.v. The association could have been made while yoo were at home, or even when you weren't and the t.v. was on. Is there anything you remember about the other times she heard the song, and what may have been going on?

I have a dog who watches t.v. When there is significant movement of any kind, or when animals are on the t.v., he goes on "high alert.". It's really entertaining to watch. The breeder of my dog told me that this behavior is "in his line" when I told her about it. It would be interesting for your breeder to question some of the owners of Teaka's siblings and relatives and find out if any others in her line are similarly triggered by songs played on the t.v.

This was a question where I had had to do a lot of guessing and "maybe this, maybe thats." It would be difficult to know exactly what she's responding to, and why, without more information, such as a visual of her behavior when the event occurs - and, even with that, why Teaka responds the way she does might still remain a mystery.  

Don't stress yourself by assuming Teaka's stressed. While the song may be a trigger for her that causes her to want to communicate with you, I'm not convinced solely from the description that she's stressed by it. It would be telling to see if she'll take food or respond to cues she knows well when it occurs in order to gauge her level of "stress." if she can respond, she's not highly stressed. More clinical information gathering might consist of salivary cortisol (the stress hormone) in her saliva when the event occurs. If you're curious about going to this length, you can talk about and organize it with Teaka's vet.

In the meantime, suffice it to say that the song, when played on the t.v., striles a chord in Teaka. :-). I hope I've given you some ideas which may help you solve the mystery. If you do solve it, I'd love to hear the result!

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.

I respond to public questions only. I'm not a veterinarian & do not respond to medical questions.Suggestions: Submit a question in one area of priority, as what I am able to address in this venue is limited. Provide as much detail re: the behavior & issue as you can. Tell me how & if behavior is a change from previous behavior & when the changes occurred. Let me know what you think may have triggered such changes & what you have tried so far to resolve it, & what the results were. Let me know what you want help with & what are your concerns & questions about the behavior. I have set up a payment/donation to myself for responding to questions. I donate most of it to animal shelters & rescues. I keep a small portion for my time. The minimum donation is $25.00 on PayPal. When I see that a donation has been made, I will respond to your question. You will be prompted to make the donation before submitting your question. When you have read & rated my response fairly, which must be at the time you read it, I will refund $5.00 back to you IF YOU REQUEST that I do so in your rating comments. If I ask for more details, please respond as a "follow-up" & not as a new question. If I don't respond to your question, I will refund your donation less $5.00. DO rate me fairly at the end of our exchange. I will be pleased if you DO nominate me for volunteer of the month - why not, if I was generous in my response? I may suggest something you were not necessarily ready to hear, but I am honest in the interest of helping your dog, & that is my goal. Please keep that in mind. Please do NOT contact me privately about Allexperts questions through my e-mail or website unless I have invited you to do so. That is an invasion of my privacy - thank you for respecting it. If you would like to contact me for actual dog training & behavior consulting, you may contact me through my Web site.

Own & operate dog training & behavior consulting businesses, Hoboken Dog Trainer, and ny-njDogTrainer, in the NYC & NYC Metro areas since 2002. Work with thousands of dog owners & their dogs, & shelter & rescue dogs. Active volunteer in dog shelters and rescues (rescues being "no kill" and shelters being municipality-run urban shelters that can and do euthanize dogs). AllExperts volunteer in "Dogs, Category 701" and "Dog Training" and "Canine Behavior" since 2006. When you submit a question, please make sure it's being submitted in the appropriate category as I volunteer in two different categories. Make sure you agree to the Virtual Contract (the instructions I outline for question submissions) and agree to read and rate my response when I answer in the body of your question. I make donations to various animal non-profits based on YOUR ratings. If you don't rate my response, or rate it unfairly, you have just denied a dog rescue org or shelter a donation. Keep that in mind.

Professional Member of APDT for five years Founding Member of Animal Behavior Associates Behavior Education Network Former Board Member of IAABC, appointed by Founder Former Member of IPDTA in Canada Founding member of Behavior Education Network

Chronicle of the Dog (APDT, peer publication, numerous articles) Popular Dog Series magazine, numerous entries AOL in Tonowanda News Morris County News Vermont News Boston NOW New York A.M. Polo Trace Newsletter The Dodo AOL

Counseling Psychology, Caldwell College Animal Science, Rutgers University Master of Arts Degree Permanent New Jersey State Teaching Certification (teach public school and university level) Numerous workshops, lectures, and seminars on dog training and behavior Ongoing self-motivated study in my area of expertise

Best Canine Coach Award, 2006, Rondout Valley Instructor's Training Course Society of Illustrators, second place international competition Jellybean Photographics, second place international competition Fashion Institute of Technology "Commitment to Illustration" award

Testimonials from a number of clients appear on my Web site at under "Reviews." My customers include: Puppy owners wanting to get their puppies off to the best start; owners of mature dogs who want their dogs to have more obedience skills; fosters and owners of rescue dogs or shelter dogs; customers with special needs who need to train or retrain their dogs; housetraining and housebreaking; owners who have behavioral issues with their dogs such as house accidents, aggression towards humans, aggression towards other animals, inattentive dogs, unmotivated dogs, overly-exuberant dogs; and, more.