Canine Behavior/new puppy

Question
We are getting a puppy from a barn with horses. we will be able to take it home in a week or two but then we will be going on vacation on March 29 for a week. we have accommodations for the dog to stay but  we aren't sure if by not having the dog for a week will disrupt the training process. should we just leave the do at the barn until out vacation is over to ensure that we don't disrupt the training process?

Answer
You're getting a puppy from a HORSE BARN???  What age is this puppy, has he had his first vaccinations, is he being socialized heavily or left in a stall with his litter mates....WHAT BREED is this puppy?

DO NOT take on a puppy from a "breeding" environment that is lacking in knowledgability regarding handling neonates one at a time away from litter mates and dam, exposing neonates to all sorts of things at appropriate age, vaccinating carefully only at appropriate times.  March 29 is very far away.  If this puppy is a neonate (under TEN WEEKS OF AGE), you must socialize heavily and vaccinate far too soon against kennel cough...this looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me.  I need a lot more information.  Use followup to clarify my concerns, please.

1.  Breed of dog
2.  Age of dog
3.  Condition of dam
4.  Where are his litter mates now
5.  How are they being housed
6.  What sort of veterinary records do you have regarding the dam's appropriate vaccination history before pregnancy
7.  what veterinary history do you have regarding the vaccination schedule for these young pups?
8.  What are they being fed, how often, by whom
9.  Is this a dog breeder who owns horses or a horse breeder who has dogs around

Thank you.

PS:  I just received your original question but I HAVE ANSWERED IT already, I just don't see the answer in my queue of answered questions.

You cannot leave the puppy in its present environment until the end of March.  The puppy needs to be socialized, daily, to other people, places, etc.  End of March this puppy will be close to the end of its socialization period.  Also, I doubt very much if any kennel will accept a puppy this young (12 weeks) and your veterinarian might warn against the possibility of exposure to Parvo virus.  I suggest you find a relative or a home where dogs of a young age can be boarded and not exposed to older dogs.  My original answer was longer but, as I said, it seems to have gotten "lost" in the system.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.