Canine Behavior/Pug Holding Urine

Question
Sorry for the lengthy details.....
I have a 4 year old pug (5 in May) who had a bladder stone removed last February. Currently she is being very stubborn with urinating. We go through this every few months. I am pregnant and it is freezing outside so I try training her to go on our deck (put a potty patch out there) but she will only go on the deck if it snows. She gets treats for "going" out there, but once the snow is melted or iced, she refuses to go, and never goes on the potty patch! (even though I tried putting some of the urinated snow on it to melt into the pad). Some days/nights I give up because she NEEDS to urinate so I take her outside to her old usual spot in the neighborhood but sometimes she is too stubborn to even urinate out there...possibly expecting/in hopes of a long walk ...? Is it bad if I bring her back in to teach her she needs to go when given the chance? We go months of "quick going" and then other months of "stubbornness" ...I am afraid of causing her to accumulate crystals and develop another stone...but I am trying to teach her that she doesn't run the show...Unfortunately there have been many days in this "retraining" when she goes 12 - 24 hours without urinating!

Answer
Whenever any dog exhibits a behavior that is not usual, first stop: veterinarian.

Having already had a bladder stone removed, she may be suffering another (it has been a year, after all).  Urination might be painful.  12-24 hours without urinating is extremely unhealthy for her.  She should have an ultrasound of her bladder along with cytology of urine that has been extracted.  "Potty patch" won't work for a house trained dog (unless it has confused her at this point).  Have your Pug examined by your veterinarian (or whomever first found the bladder stone).  Once test results come back (btw, I just had this done for my Toy Poodle bitch who urinated four times (indoors) in two weeks and she has a UTI, being treated now by antibiotics), and urinalysis test should come back within 48 hours (ultrasound immediately, vet should give you a printout), if everything is FINE, use followup feature and we will go from there.

Meanwhile: your impatience may be causing her anxiety about urinating.  I know it's cold; I understand you're pregnant; but the dog's behavior, if not caused by biologic reasons, suggests she is anxious.  Between now and test result returns, TAKE HER to the place she usually urinates (her "old usual spot), no long walks in the bitter cold (won't help anyway, can make it worse).  Be sure to carry very high value, low sodium treats (string cheese is good).  The MOMENT she completes urination, pop the treat into her mouth and return home.  Please advise when test results come back and further advise if the above suggestion helped.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.