Canine Behavior/Dog marking carpets & furniture

Hi, we have a 7 year old Lhasa Apso who constantly goes around the house marking everywhere, how can I stop it please?
He has not been neutered as the vet said that's not guaranteed to stop it!
Thank you

1.  Go into any pet warehouse store and ask an employee to take you to the aisle where you can find belly bands and diaper materials.  Bring the dog with you to fit it properly.  If he is wearing a belly band, HE CANNOT MARK.  HE CANNOT URINATE, impossible.

2.  Go back to square one and house train this dog.  Take him out every three hours to THE SAME SPOT.  Wait for him to lift his leg; be aware that he will be MARKING also and you do not want that.  The dog must be neutered; will it stop his marking behavior?  No, you will do that with re-training.  Will it remove the reason?  50% of it, yes, after testosterone levels drop.  As he urinates outdoors, say "GOOD PEE" and hurry back in.  If you have a yard, TAKE HIM OUT ON A LEASH, you are re-training.  Pretend he's ten weeks old.  He will begin to associate "GOOD PEE" with his own actions (urinating) after about 30 trials and will then acquire a command:  "GO PEE".

3.  Indoors, he must wear the belly band.  Do not allow him full run of the house until you have spent at least three weeks re-training and are seeing results.  He can wear the belly band INDOORS forever with no harm.  At age 7, he may be resistant to re-training (this is called "response perseverance") so you must be diligent and follow a very strict routine of taking him out.

4.  Remove water (unless it is very warm outdoors) late afternoon.   Ask your veterinarian about this before doing it.  If your dog has a good blood test result and his kidneys are working well, this will not hurt him.  Be certain to leave a full bowl of fresh water available for him from early morning to late afternoon.  Again, ask your veterinarian about water restriction.

5.  DO NOT ALLOW THE DOG ON THE FURNITURE.  Do not use clorox to clean up the urine; it smells like urine to a dog.  If he has a FAVORITE SPOT in your home to mark, FEED HIM THERE twice daily.

Report back in three weeks using followup feature.  TY.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.