Canine Behavior/Is this kind of play hurting my dog?

Question
Hello Dr. Connor,

I have 4 year old male Cairn Terrier named Amos. He's very well behaved, healthy and loves to play. Whenever I'm cleaning, Amos likes to play with the vacuum. We run around my apartment, him chasing the vacuum, me chasing him with it and so forth. It's a game we've played practically forever, we get to play for awhile and I get a chore done at the same time. He doesn't ever bite or touch the vacuum, just pounces at it and darts away when I approach him. A friend of a friend visited me recently and saw us playing this way and practically erupted on me. She accused me of tormenting my dog and threatened to report me to animal control. I tried to explain that it was just a game we play and that Amos enjoys it, but she insisted that even though he seems like he's having fun, it's actually very harmful to him and is causing a great deal of stress that will almost definitely lead to severe health problems. I know she used to work for a vet, so I'm hesitant to just immediately dismiss her. Is this activity really that bad for my dog? He's never shown any signs of distress or fear. He legitimately appears to enjoy it. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

Sincerely,
Josh

Answer
DO NOT chase your dog with the vacuum.  Is he having fun?  NOT if he's being chased.

I can't see anything from here but I'll tell you this:  I had a Jack Russell Terrier (short legged variety, the only one that counts lol).  He feared and loathed the vacuum. He would "attack" it (after all, he was a TERRIER, as is your Cairn; they are bred to GO TO GROUND after game MUCH larger and fiercer than they are).  I basically ignored these attacks.  I went about my business without looking at him, without making eye contact, without using his name.  After a while (months), he stopped "attacking".  I then made the vacuum cleaner experience into a totally benign thing: I sang a happy song about HIM, using his name; I observed him out of the corner of my eye and, if he became stressed (read the dog's body language:  http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=94404)  I would redirect quickly by asking for a trained behavior I could then highly praise (leaving the vacuum cleaner ON but not near him).  Eventually, I was able to vacuum HIM.  I would use the bare hose nozzle to run up and down his body. He loved it.

I'm not suggesting you try to teach your Cairn to allow you to vacuum him, but I am suggesting that, by chasing him, you are definitely stressing him.  He does NOT KNOW THIS IS A GAME.  If you want to teach him to play a game, teach him to "find" articles you've "hidden" (at first in plain sight: start with 1/2 a small cookie).  Otherwise, keep your vacuuming to yourself.

PS:  your friend is over reacting, and I question the friendship if this person threatens to call "animal control".  First: "animal control" suggests kill shelter and they would not respond; second, were she to call the local Humane Society policing agency, you MIGHT receive a visit.  That "friend of a friend" is no friend, indeed.  As for the stress causing your dog physiological harm: he is not a Human.  The stress is short and temporary.  That person has issues and you do NOT need that person NEAR YOUR DOG OR YOU.  Are you the worst dog owner in the world?  VERY FAR FROM IT!  You are simply misinterpreting your dog's reactions.  Now, you know better.  God bless.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.