Canine Behavior/My Dog Attacks Feet When Startled From Sleep

Question
We have a wonderful and loving little Cockerpoo Mix who sleeps in bed with us. Recently he has started to attack our feet when he is just falling asleep and is awakened suddenly by the movement of them under the cover. He doesn't really bite, but rather he mouths them. Other than not having him sleep in bed with us, is there any other remedy that we can do? Please help us!

Answer
I suggest you talk to your veterinarian regarding the dog's diet.  Diet can provoke a dog into aggression upon being awakened.  Also: I suggest you do not allow the dog ON YOUR BED until the vet has had an opportunity to evaluate what her diet's contribution might be.  Food allergies are often said to be "non existent" in dogs; many vets KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NUTRITION; but dogs DO react to certain food ingredients (especially low value protein, fillers, additives, etc.)

So: first stop: holistic vet or one who understands nutrition and its contribution to aggression upon awakening.  Second step: remove the dog to another location (not your bedroom) where she is comfortable and safe.  Expect a vocal response for a few nights.  Once you have seen a vet and the food has been addressed, (this will also require a comprehensive blood chemistry to see if all her levels are normal, if it is food related there will be some, even minor, problems with blood levels), you can then re-introduce her to your bedroom.  At that point, use followup feature and I will teach you how to teach HER to get "on" the bed ONLY when invited and get "off" the bed when told to do so.  It's not as hard as it sounds; the strongest feature of "on" and "off" is that, if the dog even begins a behavior you do not approve of, you can cue her to "off" (at which point she will have learned to do it on request).  If she persists, she can then be removed to her other sleeping location with no comment from you, no excitement, no nothing.  This is the approach I call "And now for something totally different".  Most dogs respond well to this approach once it has been repeated a sufficient number of times.  They associate it immediately with THEIR behavior, but not if the dog is asleep and coming up in a fear response from a dead sleep.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.