Canine Behavior/Dog is Obsessed with Golf Cart

Question
My parents have an approximately 2.5 year old Golden Lab/ Retreiver named "Copper". They rescued Copper from a shelter about a year ago. My parents live on a 5 acre ranch type property and they have a bunch of fowl (geese, chickens, ducks and peacocks) all of which the dog does not bother.

Recently, Copper has become obsessed with the Golf Cart (which is just used to go back and forth to a garden or to check the mail..etc.). When the cart is in motion, he will chase it an "yup" (not bark). When it is off/parked, he will just lay by it and not leave its side.

They have tried moving the cart to another location on the property, but he finds it... If he is in the house and not able to get outside, he goes berserk if the cart is moved.  

Please Help!

Thanks!

Answer
Please answer the following questions (and your parents must be the source of the answers):

1.  When did this behavior begin and can your Dad or Mom remember the EXACT environment or circumstance at the time?
2.  WHAT does your Dad or Mom DO when Copper reacts by yipping and chasing....what was their initial reaction, how has it changed, is any yelling or anger involved, is any attempt at restraint or any punishment involved?
3.  PAINT ME A PICTURE of the average day with the golf cart and Copper's reaction to it (time of day??? does that count?  WHO is on the golf cart, does that count?  WHAT is the other parent doing at the time, what is his/her involvement, does that count?)
4.  Copper perceives the golf cart as some sort of threat to his beloved Human(s) and appears to be, essentially, "guarding" it to protect his Humans. WHAT do your parents DO when he lies by it and will not leave?  Do they forcibly remove him?  Do they attempt to bribe him?
5. Are either of your parents physically impaired and NEED the golf cart (since they use it to go pick up the mail unless the mailbox is 1/2 mile away) and how does Copper react to this disability IN THE HOUSE?

Now, while you and your folks are compiling answers, do this:

Go to a Home Depot or other such store; purchase a large tarp with tie downs; cover the golf cart totally when it is parked.  IF the dog is secure (behind fenced area and cannot just get up and wander off and never be seen again), have BOTH parents immediately walk away and TOTALLY IGNORE COPPER until he VOLUNTARILY  returns to the house.  The tarp covering might just throw off his perception long enough for me, with your answers, to figure out how to associate for Copper a POSITIVE experience of the golf cart.

While it seems a simple problem, it has become a complex problem.  Reactions of Humans to their loved dogs often accelerate a non-problem into a serious problem. I think we can fix this but I need A LOT more information.  Please use FOLLOWUP FEATURE (save this answer in your email and then follow the link to it, scroll down, select "FOLLOWUP" and type your response so I can see original question and answer.  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.