Canine Behavior/tail chasing

Question
Hi Jill,  just a quick question,,,,why does my German Shepherd chase his tail? albeit it is comical,,,,it just seems weird,,because he catches it and just holds on and goes in circles.....thanks Nick

Answer
Some times tail chasing is a sign of high stress or extreme boredom.  There are other times when it can be neurological, a symptom.  I suggest you see the veterinarian for a base line neurological test.  I have little information here about the age of the dog, his environment, how long he has been doing this, and what YOU DO when he does it.  

I suggest you see the vet.  Meanwhile, and after the vet visit, when the dog begins this behavior put a leash on him and just keep him casually by your side for a few minutes.  This will interrupt whatever is driving the behavior.  Do not laugh or even smile; no eye contact; calmly attach the leash, and sit for a few minutes.  Do this repeatedly (36 to 50 trials), then, after attaching the leash, walk in a large circle (do not sit down), ask for "sit", release the dog.  Do this repeatedly; counter conditioning.  The dog will then acquire a behavior you can re-direct him to when he begins circling:  "sit" for high value food reward.  Report back using followup feature if needed.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.