Canine Behavior/2year old Staffordshire Bill terrier

Question
Hi, I have a 2 year old male Staffordshire bull terrior..he's started growling at my boyfriend and it seems to be getting worse. For some examples: tai ( my staff ) will jump up on to the bed or the couch and my boyfriend will tell him to get down, he'll growl. I can do the same with no problems.
At feeding time he has to sit then we put his food down and he has to wait until he's told before he can have his food, he does this perfectly fine with me I can even leave the room for a matter of minutes and he will sit and wait for my command, my boyfriend will tell him to sit and he will start growling even before the foods been put down for him, last night he managed to feed him fine but as soon as he started to walk out of the room tai started to growl at him.
Hopefully you have some advise that could help me as I'm afraid he'll end up biting my boyfriend.
Thank you.

Answer
You have a male Staffie who is exhibiting active aggression toward a Human male; he is essentially challenging the Human male and this will escalate.  He may not have been appropriately socialized to men, or your boyfriend may very well have done something (out of your sight and knowledge) to provoke a fear response from this dog.

In the UK, there are licensed and credentialed behaviorists: people who actually know what they're doing.  YOU NEED ONE.  The dog should be evaluated and a male Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist would be my first choice.  Find one from the following sites:

http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/accred/reg.php

http://www.apbc.org.uk/members.php

http://www.johnrogerson.com/consultation.html

http://www.coape.org/pfn/index.html

Will this be cheap?  NO.  You MUST ask for references, and check them; you MUST tell the truth about your dog's behavior so the Behaviorist can determine if he is competent to deal with it (this is active aggression, a growl is a bite waiting to happen).  You MUST do this ASAP.  Meanwhile: your boyfriend should give NO orders to your dog OR feed him.  This dog does not belong on the furniture and certainly NOT on your bed however, you must wait for a professional to evaluate and advise before doing anything.

No one can "fix" a potentially dangerous situation (and deadly for the dog who will pay with his life) in a text box.  Can this be fixed?  Yes I believe so but it won't be easy and it won't be fast.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.