Canine Behavior/dog licks

Question
there is a Shish Tui dog in my neighborhood who I have 'hit it off' with....basically I'm the only one who lets him lick me.
This dog , thouugh, somehow his licks gravitate to my eye sockets.....I keep my eyes tightly closed when he does that, but why do some dogs like to lick near the eye sockets?
I heard that he is a very friendly, people-person dog.
Another Shish Tsu in the neighborhood doesn't do that & I have a great rapport with that dog also

Answer
That's a good question. I can't tell you for absolute certain why some dogs gravitate toward the eyes or ears while licking a person (or other dog). But my guess is because there are interesting smells or flavors in those areas. Eyes create tears, which are salty. Dogs are attracted to salty flavors and so it's reasonable that they would find the eyes a source of interesting flavors.

Some people believe that dogs sniffing ears (or your fingers after you've been scratching in their ears) are checking for infection. That's probably true, along with just finding it an interesting smell. Every orifice in the body (eyes, ears, mouth, nose, genitals) produce smells of various kinds and some dogs find those smells particularly enticing while others are not as interested.

It is not a breed-specific behavior (being drawn to lick one particular body part). It's as individual as taste for certain foods is in humans. Example: I love sushi and would eat it 3 times per week if I could. My sister finds even the thought of eating sushi repulsive. We share DNA as we have the same parents. We were raised in the same house. But we have vastly different tastes when it comes to foods, flavors and textures. This is true in the dog world as well. Though both dogs in your neighborhood are Shih Tzu's, they are as individual as my sister is from me.

Another potential, which may or may not hold for this particular dog, is that the licking begins at your mouth or cheek and just in the excitement of the activity, the dog's licks become longer strokes and the dog sort of meanders around the face to get new (dry) skin and so ends up at the eyes every time.

I have one dog who often ends a lick-fest at one of my eyes (the last lick). My previous dog would give a single lick, and it often was directed at an eye. Between the naturally occurring tears and the "sleep" goop that people develop in their eyes, my guess is that it's an interesting smell that draws some dogs to taste it - maybe because they like the flavor. Maybe because they are checking the health status of the individual. Maybe they're just trying to clean you. Or maybe they like the reaction they get when they lick there - giggles and cuddles and more happy interaction. Often these behaviors become learned precisely because the dog happened to do it once, but really enjoyed the reaction he got when he did it and so he continues to do it whenever the opportunity presents so that he can get that same reaction again and again....

I know I haven't provided you with any kind of definitive response, but I hope thi hypothesizing has helped provide some possible insights into this particular dog's motivation.

Please feel free to followup if I can be of further asssistance.

Jody Epstein, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behavior Specialist
http://NutzAboutMutz.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT