Canine Behavior/Female and male English Bulldogs Fighting

We have 2 English Bulldogs.  A female, Belle, who is just about 2 years old and a male, Wilbur, who is 11 months old.  As of late, they have begun fighting.  90% of the time they hang out together, nap together, and are perfectly fine.  Lately the other 10% seems to be spent fighting and very aggresively.  We have tried to pinpoint the exact triggers causing this, and the best we can come up with is it happens when Wilbur feels he deserves the attention.  Once in a while he will be aggressive with a toy, but for the most part this occurs when there are no toys around and no food or treats, just myself, my husband, or our 2 boys.  It takes 2 of us to physically separate them.  Are there ways for us to work with them to avoid these situations?  Is this a breed problem?  We love them both very much and are willing to work with them to resolve this problem.  On a side note, when we are not home both bullies are crated, in separate crates.  Belle loves her crate and often "crates" herself, Wilbur is not a big fan of the crate at all.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice,

Robyn Hunt and Family

There's a growing issue of "social hierarchy" here; an 11 month old dog should not be challenging a 2 yo bitch; dogs normal acquiesce to a bitch.  The situation is most likely the direct result of insufficient "guidance" from Humans in the living environment; in other words, "no one" is clearly "in charge".  This will, undoubtedly, get worse without intervention.

Intervention requires both dogs be assessed individually, and then together; it requires an extended interview of all family members regarding each member's manner of interacting with each dog, and both dogs at once.  Children need to be questioned separately; you have no idea what I've heard from children when Mom and Dad are out of the room.

You say Wilbur "feels he deserves attention": I say Wilbur is an adolescent dog who is making a statement of social hierarchy to a 2 yo resident bitch (Belle) that is not being understood by the Humans in the family; each Human has a place in this "social hierarchy"; normally, the Human male of the household has more "control" because of pheromones but, also, the manner in which men interact with dogs (which is, generally, quite different from women and children).  Sometimes, the woman of the house has more "trouble" with a dog, or dogs, when the man is not present.  Often, children are the "target" of redirected aggression or simply perceived by the dog (in its culture) as low in social hierarchy.

Having said all of that, let me say this:  I can't see anything from here and I can't fix this in a text box.  You ABSOLUTELY require a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist ASAP (NOT a DOG TRAINER).  THERE IS NO OPTION HERE.  This will get worse and a person will be hurt.  Can this be remedied?  I don't know, can't give an honest opinion.  But I can say that the breed type presents a problem, certainly.  It's worth a try and it will not be easy or a quick fix, it will take time, constant effort, and the children must be gauged by the CAAB as able to participate (safely) as you address "who is who" between the dogs and "who is who" TO the dogs (meaning: you and your husband are at the top of the social order and your children are next).  It's not easy and there's no guaranty.

To find a CAAB go to the following sites and you might call the veterinary teaching hospital in your geographical area for referral.  A CAAB MUST come to YOUR HOME.  He or she will have to make several visits; this won't be inexpensive.

If the dog is not neutered, DO IT IMMEDIATELY.  If the bitch is not spayed, do a titer for estrogen first to be certain she is not close to estrus cycle.  DO NOT neuter and spay at the same time.  First: neuter the dog.

Put house tabs on both dogs:  lightweight leashes ideally attached to body harness (not collar); observe body language of Wilbur and Belle, if you see Wilbur is displaying a clear intention to attack, pick up house tab, put him behind closed door for ten seconds, let him out but hold onto house tab for a few minutes: SAY NOTHING, DO NOT TOUCH HIM OR USE HIS NAME, DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT.  If a fight erupts, you can then use the house tabs to separate them.  They must both then be held on leash for approximately five minutes until BOTH dogs display calming behavior:  yawning, lip licking, head turning, lying or sitting down; then release.  SAY NOTHING, do nothing except pick up the house tab and sit quietly, do not make eye contact.  In this way, you will be using a quick measure to reduce the escalation of aggression to a point where one, or both, dogs will be harmed and a person will end up in the ER.  Your children should NOT be left alone with these dogs unless they are close to adulthood; that means, 16+ years of age and able to follow directions.

Dog to dog aggression is considered a precursor to dog to human aggression; if one of these has to "go", it must be Wilbur, and only into a very experienced home (in terms of breed type).  Find a CAAB as soon as you can.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.