Canine Behavior/Muzzle punching

Question
Benji (tan/white dog)
Benji (tan/white dog)  
Hi Dr. Connor- I wrote a question a couple of months ago (Managing behavior between our two dogs 4/17/2015), but exhausted the follow-up feature (thank you for your help on that!!!). I have new question on a recent behavior.

A quick summary of Benji: Benji is a rank opportunist, almost 2 years old, neutered, pup. He is impulsive and has a very high prey drive. We have had him since he was 12 weeks old (neutered before bringing him home) and has been in some type of class since he was a puppy (obedience, etc). We also have a female (spayed) 5.5 year old pup. Attached a picture (he is the tan/white dog).

New issue- he goes to playday (excellent place I trust), a couple of times a week. He also boards there when we are out of town. They place dogs in very small groups with dogs with the same play style and use positive reinforcement only. He plays very well from feedback we have received. Recently thought (as of last two weeks) he has started to randomly muzzle punch a dog while he in a transition pen before going into the play yard. He muzzle punches (no teeth, no aggression) and then goes on playing normally, so nothing else happens after the muzzle punch. The staff is trying to figure out why he started to do this, so that's why I thought to write you, to see if you had any insight on this behavior. I should also mention they tried switching what dogs he interacts with, but he still randomly selected a dog and punched the dog with his nose. A staff member did mention that she can tell when he is about to do it, and has been able to distract him right before doing the muzzle punch. Since they mentioned no aggression, and this it's quick and goes on his way afterwards, could it just be excitement? Or knowing that he is a rank opportunist, maybe something to do with rank? It was hard for me to find any information online about this behavior.

Thank you!

Answer
First: I want you to DROP IN UNEXPECTEDLY at least TWICE (random intervals) to see where your dog REALLY is and what is REALLY happening.  Report back using followup feature (you know how to do that) if you see anything you don't like or catch these people in a lie.

I am unsure what a "muzzle punch" is.  If it is a quick poke, it is more likely out of excitement (and what, exactly, do they define as a "transition place"....I'd like to know more about THAT). Is he making a statement to the other dog?  Yes. It could be "I go first" or "Isn't this wonderful"....I can't see anything from here.  If there were an aggressive intent, there would have already been aggression (growl first.....a few days later, snap).

Redirecting this "muzzle punch" must be done properly and it is a mistake to "mix up" the dogs by placing him in this "transition phase" with a different dog.  So far, the "punchee" (so to speak) has not acted; this might not always be the case.  If another dog interprets this behavior in the wrong manner, a full blown fight can erupt in what might be tight quarters.  Redirecting an unwanted behavior is done with a clap of hands and an IMMEDIATE command to "sit", FOR BOTH DOGS.  If Benji is taking his opportunism to this social situation, the other dog must be asked to do as he is asked to do or his need to assert himself might increase.

Have you seen the training credentials of the person in charge here....with your own eyes?  Have you asked others whose dogs are in this place what is going on with THEIR dogs?  I would.  

Redirect by asking for "sit", ask other dog to "sit", then proceed with Benji going first IF he, in fact, DOES go first EVERY SINGLE TIME.  If he does NOT, that might be precipitating this behavior.  If you can get a VIDEO of it, upload to You Tube and insert link in followup.

Occam's Razor:  the simplest answer is often correct.  When we hear hoofbeats, we don't expect Zebras.  So the simple answer is: something is going awry here and it is not the dog's fault.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.