Canine Behavior/A behavior we've named "Face Time"

Question
About a year ago, my family adopted a one year old female plott hound from the local humane society.  She is our second dog, and she gets along well with her "brother", a Florida Brown Dog.  She is wonderful.  She exhibits every trait the textbooks describe for her breed...  Loyalty, intelligence, strength...She is extremely protective of our house and our family, and extremely affectionate.  This is where my question comes in.  About 9 months into our ownership, she started her behavior that we now call "face time."  When I settle in for the evening (not when I come home, not while we're active having dinner, daily chores, etc.  Only when I curl onto the sofa and get settled to watch the TV, read a book, that kind of thing) she will sit right next to me, get very close, and put her face VERY close to mine.  She may give a gentle lick, but most often just sits there, very, very close.  After a few minutes, she will lay down and cuddle into me, but it always starts with "face time."  It's as if she wants to maybe feel my breath for a few minutes?    I'm no expert, of course, but it doesn't feel like she's trying to dominate me.  It actually strikes me more as submissive?  Also, for whatever it's worth, based on some other behaviors, were fairly sure that she was abused prior to our adoption.  So what is this behavior?  Am I wrong and she's simply trying to dominate me?  Is it a simple matter of vying for my attention?  Is it submissive?  Affection?  Should I be stopping it?

Answer
Educated guess (since I can't observe it and I have no idea what you have done -- and you did something (with no intention) to solicit or reward it - -  this sounds like affiliation. She is not staring you in the eye, hopefully; if she were doing this, I would ask for "sit", "down", then release.  (Never go directly from "sit" to "down", wait three to five seconds, or dog will learn to lie down on every "sit" command).  Since she doesn't appear to be attempting to stare you down (although for some dogs eye to eye contact, especially if you can see the whites in their eyes, is benign).  She loves you.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.