Canine Behavior/New aggression in one of my dogs

Question
I have have 2 dogs 8yrs Staffy cross and 9yrs Blue heeler x Border collie. The 8 yr old is currently recovering from surgery and must be kept in an enclosure for another 4 weeks to minimize movement/excitement. My 9yr old keeps having moments where she approaches the enclosure and growls resulting in the 8yr old growling as well and it is hard to get he 9yr old to move away from the area.  The 9yr old also snapped at the 8yr old during a toilet break. What is going on? and how can we improve the situation?

Answer
The obvious physical disability in your Staff X appears to be causing high anxiety in your Heeler X; the social hierarchy is being disrupted.  The Staffy X might also "smell" differently (medications) and her absence from the home (for surgery and after care) combined with her (now) confinement is creating some difficulty.

You must re-introduce these dogs carefully to one another once the Staff X is able to be free of confinement; re-post using FOLLOWUP well before you do this.

As for the Heeler X: put an indoor leash on her (lightweight leash).  If she approaches the confinement area and makes direct eye contact with the other dog, pick up the leash and remove her from the room: circle her in another room a few times, left, right, left, to change brain function (thought process or fight/flight process), ask for "sit", drop leash.  If she approaches the confinement area and begins to growl, remove her from the room (using the leash) and put her behind a closed door to the COUNT OF TEN.  Then, bring her out, circle as described (including "sit") and drop the leash.  Do this every single time you see any sort of direct eye contact menace (your Heeler X will "give eye", meaning drop her head and focus intently: immediately interfere) or growl.  This won't necessarily prevent a serious disruption in relationship when the Staff X is allowed out of confinement, but it should diminish (hopefully extinguish) the Heeler X from lock-on and menacing.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.