Canine Behavior/new dog coming home

Question
Hi - we are adopting a new dog, and we have one at home already. They have already met, and get along great. We have been asked to watch a friends dog (who gets along great with my current dog) over the weekend, but that would mean bringing the new dog home to our current dog AND the one we would be watching. My husband thinks this is okay, I'm not so sure. Advice?

Answer
DO NOT DO THAT.  You're throwing your "new dog" a curve as well as your present resident dog.

BEFORE bringing your "new dog" into your home, have your husband meet you outside your home with your resident dog on leash.  Take a walk together, parallel, for a while.  When you return to your own property with both dogs, allow your resident dog to enter your home FIRST; keep the "new dog" on a house tab (lightweight leash) for about a week.  This communicates to the resident dog that s/he is higher in social hierarchy (and to the "new dog" as well).  Then after about FOUR WEEKS, report back using FOLLOWUP FEATURE if you have any problems developing.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.