Canine Behavior/Obsessive snffing

Question
Hello, I have a very fit and healthy 11 year old springer spaniel who has recently started sniffing the ground in the garden obsessively.  He has always been a very greedy dog, but he has even been known to sniff past his meal time which in unheard of.  He behaves completely normally on his daily walks and in the house, and does not seem stressed in any way.  Our garden has lawn and a wooded area, he sniffs it all, without ever finding anything or trying to dig.  We now keep him out of the garden which is such a shame as he has always loved it - do you have any ideas?  (he is going very deaf, so verbal commands etc don't really work).

Answer
First:  information on how to cross-train a dog (change training regimen totally) for any reason, this link designed for dogs that are deaf:

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/

Now: the Springer Spaniel is a hunting breed that relies heavily on all three senses: sight, hearing, scent.  Your dog is now deaf and unable to rely upon his hearing; other senses are now exaggerated, especially scent since his eyesight is also most likely changing (normal in older dogs).  The sniffing in the garden area is an obsessive compulsive behavior at this point which is extremely rewarding to him for some reason (since he sniffs through his meal time).

It does not appear to me that your dog is presently "enjoying" this behavior in the garden.  Therefor, it is not as big a loss to him if you keep him out of the area while you re-train him using cues and techniques you can find in the above link.  There is also a clicker related portion found at that link:

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/

Your dog is most likely scenting things you cannot see or hear (little visitors underground or a trail left by night time visitors such as possum, raccoon, deer, etc.)  The Springer Spaniel is rarely a "digger".  The fact that he behaves normally on LEASHED WALKS tells me he has most likely disconnected cognition from this "seeking" behavior in the garden.

Until you have introduced the new training, take him out, on leash; do not turn him out into the garden, it will only reinforce his acquired obsession.  I also suggest you find a veterinary behaviorist who will be able to assess not only your dog's hearing loss but also any loss of vision and his cognition; leashing a dog is not merely a physical restraint, it is also psychological and emotional.  This means your dog feels more secure with you at the other end of his leash; if his sight is compromised, this is of great comfort to him.  (BTW...a totally blind dog can make his/her way around a well known home environment with absolutely no clue to the owner that the dog cannot see.)  You can find a veterinary behaviorist by calling the veterinary teaching college in your geographical area or from the following:

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

If his hearing AND sight are both impaired, it is far kinder to keep leash walking the dog.  I strongly suggest a sophisticated veterinary assessment.  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.