Canine Behavior/Puppy dominance?

Question
I just got a seven-month year old puppy and he likes to attack my three-four year old dog. I understand that this is a way of showing dominance, but I want to find a way to stop it. The puppy is hurting the older dog and I want it to stop. The older dog doesn't fight back. I want to show them that I'm in charge and the older dog understands while the puppy is taking things into his own paws. Whenever I tug on the puppy's collar he stops for a second then goes back to fighting. Can you please give me some advice so I can stop the pup? I don't want to have many visits to the vet.

Answer
Very little information for me to diagnose a solution to the problem BUT:

A seven month old dog is not a puppy; worst case scenario: this adolescent dog (let's call him X) has never been socialized to other dogs at all (or anyone else, for that matter, perhaps); X must either be the result of a poor breeding experience (where he had to fight for the teat to survive) or a breed type or hybrid with no socialization OR used as bait for other dogs (Pit Bull fighting) or otherwise subjected to an adult dog that harmed him.  Your older dog (let's call him or her Y) is not behaving appropriately to these ATTACKS.  Perhaps Y is a very soft temperament or outright fearful because of his/her lack of socialization to other dogs.  I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING FROM HERE.

Do you have to fear that X will hurt Y?  Oh, yes.  Is there reason to suspect X might begin demonstrating fear aggression toward Humans?   Yes.  Dog to dog aggression (especially in so young a dog) is correlated to later dog to Human aggression.

This is not dominance; X is not old enough to be a rank opportunist.  This is far worse.  You are in CA????  I suggest you contact Dr. Ian Dunbar's office (he is located in Berkeley) for referral to a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (NOT a dog trainer).  You will be directed to a CAAB in your area.  Here is contact info for Sirius Dog Training:

https://www.siriuspup.com/contact-us

DO THIS RIGHT AFTER READING MY ANSWER.

MEANWHILE: put X on a house tab (long, lightweight leash); ANY TIME X approaches Y with intent to harm, remove X IMMEDIATELY behind a closed door (you stay on the other side), count to ten, open door, hold house tab in your hand, ask for "sit" (trained only with positive reinforcement), praise; hold onto tab for a minue or two, release.  Do this EVERY SINGLE TIME X attempts to attack Y.  If X persistently attempts to attack Y, X is not the dog for you, or for anyone with another dog OR children.  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.