Canine Behavior/Bringing a new dog home

Question
I have a 3 old Pomeranian, Ivy, she hasnīt been socialized much as a puppy and her home behavior is what many would describe as "spoiled". A couple days ago, we decided to get a two month old Pom, Halley, because we believed Ivy could use a friend after all these years. The introduction was not appropriate, especially since Ivy stared at her and was deeply infuriated (showed with excessive barking) when any of us attempted to hug or carry Halley. I've noticed Ivy's been sad and has thrown up (probably due to the stress) and it breaks my heart to see her like that. Ivy happens to be on her period as well so itīs difficult for me to tell if sheīs ever going to accept Halley, specially the two of them getting along when the house is empty of humans.

Please, should we get rid of the newcomer or is this normal among this breed? I would hate to see Ivy's personality tone down or be negatively affected just because of a terrible mistake.
Thank you

Answer
I think you answered your own question.

Ivy has not been socialized: huge mistake, too late.  Ivy does not need another dog as a companion; she has you.  Suppose your husband brought home another wife as a companion for you?  Hmmmmm?  A bit over the top but you get the picture.

You can't "get rid of" any living thing, you must re-home that puppy ASAP.  Find a very suitable home, not just someone who comes along OR call the BREEDER (I hope you got her from a reliable breeder) and RETURN the puppy TOMORROW.  IF Ivy had been properly socialized to other dogs of all ages and sizes, and IF Ivy were not "spoiled" (treated like a Human child) then you would have chosen a MALE Pom.  ALSO, Ivy needs to be SPAYED.  She is in estrus now?  Count ten weeks from today, call and make an appointment to have her spayed a few weeks later.  Mammary cancer IS A REAL THREAT; my Toy Poodle (I do mammary checks on her same as a Human female does, monthly) came up with a malignant mammary tumor in ONE MONTH: I could feel it, knew what it was.  Have Ivy spayed.

I would leave things as they are.  Ivy is happy and secure, you love her, and when she reaches the end of her life (I hope not for a very long time) you can then, should you choose and in your own time, decide whether or not to acquire another puppy.  Next time, socialize well and use positive reinforcement training.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.