Canine Behavior/Does an in house dog cope in boarding training schools

Question
Hi Jill,
Thank you for taking time to answer this.
I have a 9 months mixed husky shepard female dog. She lives in house.  I wanted to get her an in house private dog trainer but was not possible. So now i have to put her at a training school for at least one month where she will be kept in a very small room all day and only taken out 3 times a day for half an hour. I want to know if dogs cope to any living condition and how this might be affecting her.
Thank you

Answer
NO!  NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!

YOU can train YOUR DOG at home.  DO NOT put your dog into a place where you have no idea what they will DO TO HER and, I promise, they WILL do SOMETHING to her.  NO NO NO.

Nine months?  Why have you waited so long to train your dog?  Have you socialized this dog? At all?  Is she house trained???  You do not need a "trainer", you can do this yourself using positive reinforcement training (that means: NO ABUSE, NO COERCION, NO CORRECTION: food based operant conditioning).

I want you to take a look at these links and think about it and then report back using FOLLOWUP: how to use followup?  Keep the email containing the link to this answer.  When you want to post a followup question, open the email, follow the link back to this answer, scroll down and you will see "Ask a Followup Question", click on that and report back.  

Here are links to HOW YOU CAN TRAIN YOUR DOG EASILY to follow cues (commands).  If your dog is not socialized, we have a bigger problem than just teaching her how to follow cues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv38ornzzuQ

http://www.clickertraining.tv/

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Companion-Dog-Set-DVDs/dp/B000NVKWZ4/ref=pd_cp_d_

The first is a link to Dr. Ian Dunbar's free, online "obedience" course; the second is a link to Karen Pryor's site on how to use a clicker to train a dog ("click flicks" are on the site and they are free, also, and teach you how to use the clicker).  The third is a link to Dr. Ian Dunbar's set of DVDs (four).

IF you surrender your dog to neanderthals (and yes, that's what they are), she will come back to you with a broken spirit; if she has not been properly socialized, she may turn into a fear biter.  The hybrid you describe (Husky/GSD) is a difficult one and must be managed with intelligence, not force.  DO NOT put her into that "school".

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.