Canine Behavior/Tissues in couch

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
Me and my fiancées dog Colby is beginning to show very strange behavior. She and I just moved in together for the first time in January, and everything was fine. Well recently we started to find tissues in our couches and chair that Colby was pulling out of our garbage can. We cannot figure out why he is hiding tissues in the furniture and more importantly we cannot get him to stop. He used to just do this in the time where he was alone, about 3-5 hours a day during the work switch, now he is doing this after I leave for work and my fiancée is asleep. Can you help us figure out the trigger and what to do about it?

ANSWER: Hi Matthew,

I would like to respond to your question, but you did not follow the instructions in my bio. Could you read my bio and follow the instructions in a follow-up question here, and I will respond to your question at that time.

Your response will also indicate to me that you're receiving my responses and that they're not ending up unread in your SPAM folder.

Thank you,

Madeline Friedman, M.A.

QUESTION: Hello,

I have read your bio. My fiancée, I, and her dog Colby just moved in together in January. A few weeks ago he started behainvg strangly. He is on a daily basis pulling tissues out of our trash cans form the living room and the bathroom an buring them in between the cushions of the couch. He has never done this before until a month ago when he started. We have had neighbors move in and then out in that time but he normally when he is stressed bite his tail. he is alone for a few hours each day, and that has been this way for about 3 months before this behavior began.

Answer
August 8th update:

Hi Matthew,

I had another thought which may apply. I see you read my earlier response, and since you read my bio, I would need you to rate my earlier response before I go ahead and share that new information. You'll forgive me, but too many folks read my responses, which take quite a bit of my time to formulate and share, but aren't similarly generous and withhold rating which is part of the "contract" stated in my bio. Hope you understand.

Madeline Friedman, M.A.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the further details.

The behavior Colby is exhibiting is called cacheing. Cacheing is usually done to hide food for a later time and is a behavior in dogs which is inherited from their ancestor, the wolf.

Although tissues themselves aren't food, their contents are salty and can be appealing to a dog. This doesn't mean that Colby is deficient in salt, necessarily; but it may mean that he needs more mental exercise and play time since it sounds as if you and your fiancee' work many hours.

The neighbors which lived with you may have provided some mental stimulation to Colby in the form of attention or games, as well as by their sheer presence. Now that they're gone, Colby might be feeling a bit bored and ignored.

I suggest you spend more time daily with Colby Training him so that he gets more mental exercise, and give him a bit more physical exercise daily as well. I don't know Colby's health status or how much exercise he currently gets daily, but if he's healthy and exercise is not much, you may want to provide more, and see if the behavior diminishes.

A word of caution: I have limited information to go on, but one thing concerns me. Dogs who cache items usually do so with food items. If Colby is in any way regarding the tissues as food items because of their contents (I know - ewww! - but dogs are dogs, after all...), then be careful about Colby starting to resource guard (protect) his cached items from you both, or from guests. I don't know Colby's age, or if he's had any resource guarding issues in the past, but I thought it would be wise to mention the possibility. However, you know your dog best, and can decide whether the possibility is real, or remote. Breed also figures into behaviors, and I don't know what breed Colby is; but, since you don't report that Colby is shredding the tissues, I suspect not a highly predatory breed, perhaps a spaniel or hound. But, as to this I'm guessing (but curious!).

If you up Colby's mental and physical exercise and you find the cacheing behavior is reduced or eliminated over the next few weeks, I'd be interested in hearing back from you.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.  

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.