Canine Behavior/Dog growls at other dogs when sleeping

Question
My dog is a 2 year old poodle mix. She is an extremely smart dog and generally behaves well. However, she has one major issue that she developed about a year ago, out of the blue. Whenever she is sleeping on someone's lap (or sometimes on the carpet beside someone), she will sometimes growl if my parents' dog (or pretty much any dog) walks by. Sometimes she even jumps off our laps--a few times she has started fighting my parents' dog but usually it seems like she "snaps out of it" and just sniffs her like nothing was wrong. Is there any way to correct this behavior? We have tried what seems like everything. She doesn't have problems obeying with other behaviors, but this is one she just can't seem to stop.
Thank you!!

Answer
Unfortunately, not addressing this problem for one long year (which is half the lifetime of this 2 yo Poodle X) has made of it far more serious than it needs to be.

We will try this for the next month:

1.  Do not allow your Poodle x to sleep on your lap for any reason.
2.  Make your lap a "come up" place by invitation only and enforce this by removing the dog with a calm "off", then inviting her with a calm "come up".  If she jumps up without cue, remove her with "off", then invite her with "come up".  She remains on your lap for SHORT INTERVALS ONLY.
3.  Do not allow her to sleep near your feet; this is a statement of control: if you were to get up, she'd know it, wouldn't she?  Every time she settles at your feet, GET UP AND MOVE.
4.  Advise your veterinarian that your Poodle X appears to be offering a rank related aggressive behavior toward other dogs but not fully COGNITIVE of it (from your description).  Although I believe your dog is experiencing a "rank" related behavior (social hierarchy) this could also be food related.  Incorrect nutrition can, and does, create aggression upon awakening (although her aggression would also be shown toward Humans).  It's worth letting the vet know about this.
5. If she is not spayed, do a titer for estrogen and spay her if veterinarian considers it hormonally appropriate.

At the end of the month, use FOLLOWUP feature please to tell me how you are doing.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.