Canine Behavior/Where dogs sleep

Question
We have 2 dogs. Trip(8 yr old Golden Lab) clearly loves me the most.  We bought Lobo(Husky/Shepherd) at 6 wks. Slept on wife's chest for 3 months while potty training.  Clear attachment there.  Wife and I sleep separately(snoring!).  Trip sleeps with her, Lobo sleeps with me.  Please explain!!??

Answer
Thank you for your question. I'd say the easiest explanation comes down to comfort. You didn't indicate which of you snores, but perhaps one dog is more sensitive to it than the other, so they switched places. Or perhaps they are more mutually bonded between you than you realize. Or they prefer the bed or the cuddle styles of the one they are choosing to sleep with.

Without some observation of the interactions between the four of you, as well as the sleeping arrangements, I can't really say. And even then, I'd only be able to make an educated guess as to why or how they are choosing their sleeping partners.

In my own home, both dogs sleep on my bed. My older dog usually chooses the foot of my bed, though occasionally he chooses right up against the pillows (is he feeling cuddlier that night?). And then a few times per year, he chooses his bed which is on the floor. I have no idea what motivates those choices - maybe he was hot or just felt like he needed more space and didn't want to be laid upon by the littler dog and so relocated to his own bed, which is too small for them to share. It's all just an educated guess because I cannot ask him in a way that will bring about an actual answer (much to my dismay).

In your situation, it may be borne out of habit, or comfort of bed or morning rituals - if you and your wife have different morning schedules, maybe one dog likes to get up earlier (or needs to potty earlier) and the other prefers to sleep in a little and so that decided it for them. Or, the bed itself feels more comfortable, or sleeping styles of the human, or the amount of dark or noise in a particular room.... the reasons behind the motivation for that sleeping choice are potentially endless.

If it doesn't bother you, I'd say relish that each dog has a favorite place to sleep and that they are sharing the two of you. If you need it to change, you might need to have the humans switch rooms and see if the dogs stay in the room, or if they go with the person. That could be telling - room preference or person preference. That might shed some light as to the motivations behind their choices.

I'm sorry this probably isn't really that helpful to you, but this is one of those things that are just not as straight forward to determine (especially without further conversation and observation).

Please feel free to followup if I can be of any further assistance.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Worcester, MA Behavior Specialist
Masters Candidate - Animals and Public Policy (Animal Behavior)
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Behavior
http://NutzAboutMutz.com  

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT