Canine Behavior/Territorial

Question
We have a 15 year old Rat Terrier. We love him like a family member,and love to play with him. However when anybody gets around him when he has his toy,or when he is eating,or if someone just touches a family member,he gets very aggressive. He will growl,bark and has even snapped at us. How do we resolve this problem.
He is also very territorial about our house. He don't like the Mailman, or Black people. If they come near the house he acts like he will tare them up. He barks and growl at them,and when they are gone he is agitated for some time afterwards

Answer
Your dog is FIFTEEN YEARS OLD.  UNLESS this has RECENTLY become a problem, I cannot help you in a text box.  IF THESE ARE PROBLEMS THAT HAVE JUST BEGUN, then first stop: veterinarian for full physiological scrutiny including basic neurological testing, orthopedic check and full blood chemistry (including thyroid). IF these problems are NEW, you MUST START with a very good veterinarian or veterinary behaviorist.  You might find a veterinary behaviorist from the following link OR by calling the Veterinary college in your geographical area.

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

IF these problems are long standing (for the majority of the dog's life), you will still require a veterinary behaviorist and your dog may require medication (to boost cognition or to truncate the flow of adrenaline).  At fifteen, he may have a few more years to live; if his cognition is failing (not uncommon in an elderly dog), his aggression (if not recent, but long standing) will worsen.  You must avoid all situations wherein the dog responds with aggression.  Since he is elderly, your best approach at this point is to prevent him from "resource guarding" (food and toys) by feeding him (twice daily, very important) in a room behind a closed door (leave food down for 15 minutes each time, do not pick up bowl in his sight whether or not he has eaten; he will not starve himself, he will make the adjustment); remove all toys.  If "someone" other than family is in your home, put a house leash on him (lightweight leash, handle cut off); should he respond with aggression (barking, lunging, snapping) should this "someone" touch a family member (to greet, hug, etc.), pick up the house tab, make no eye contact, say nothing to him, put him behind a closed door to the count of TWENTY, let him out: repeat every single time he reacts to a family member being lovingly touched by visitors.  You "love to play with him", very good.  NO TUG OF WAR GAMES.  Play with large, soft rubber ball (go to Toys R Us) and roll it around, let him chase it.  At end of game, pick up the ball and put it away.  Give him only one toy at a time and be sure to pick it up and put it away (it is YOURS, not his).  If he growls at you, do not back away, break eye contact, yawn and lick your lips (calming signals) and stand your ground until he STOPS.  Then ask for "sit", verbally reward, walk away.  Never confront aggression and never accede to it (in this case).

Let me repeat: first stop veterinarian; second, do as I suggested; third, use followup feature to report veterinary findings.  As for mailman aggression: quite common.  Dog barks frantically when mailman comes to the mailbox and mailman always goes away: dog then considers his behavior as having caused mailman to leave.  As for African American people: poorly socialized dog or dog has had a very terrifying encounter with an African American person (highly unlikely).  Can this be fixed?  Yes but at age fifteen you will see "response perseverance" mixed with failing cognition and it will be very, very difficult.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.