Canine Behavior/pit bulls

Question
Jody

If you had grandchildren ages 6 and 9 who played in your unfenced yard and your next door neighbor with an unfenced yard told you he was getting a pit bull, would you be concerned? We do have the grandchildren and the neighbor. Thanks.

Mike

Answer
Thank you for your question. The reality here is that the breed of the dog is irrelevant to this question. I would not allow young children to play unattended in an unfenced area where an unsupervised dog could access them.

Pit-type dogs (the term Pit Bull refers to a group of several breeds, not one specific breed) actually score quite well on sociability assessments and are no more likely to bite than any other dog. The issue - like any breed - comes down to proper socialization and good, positive reinforcement based, force free training, and of course the dog's personality. All breeds of dogs will have individuals who love children, who are extremely tolerant of children's antics and would avoid hurting a child at all costs. And all breeds of dog will have some individuals who are fearful of children or who simply do not like children and would have a very low tolerance for sharing space.

As an example, my dogs are very well trained and love children and I have never left either of them (one is 35 lbs, the other 11 lbs) unattended with my nephews who are currently 11 and 7, but were 8 & 4 when they first started spending time with my dogs. It's just a safety issue. Children are unpredictable and tend to engage with dogs in ways that do not respect the dog's personal space (pulling ears, leaning on, grabbing toys from, chasing, pushing, etc.) and this can make dogs uncomfortable and feeling like they need to defend themselves. So, my rule is that I just don't leave children unsupervised in the same space as dogs. And when kids and dog are together, my role is making sure that the kids are not making the dog uncomfortable - redirecting the children to more appropriate behaviors and teaching them how to engage with the dog in ways that do not frighten or upset the dog.

In your case, I would either fence in my yard or discuss with the neighbor that they should really fence in their yard to make sure their dog stays safe and out of traffic. If these are not an option, then I would supervise the kids when they play outside. It's entirely possible that the neighbor's dog will be incredibly sweet and gentle and will love to engage with the kids. That's the hope. And in that case an adult in charge of the dog should be present when the dog is out and you should be present to supervise the kids. This would allow for more safe opportunities for kids and dog to socialize (active supervision as mentioned above, redirecting the kids to avoid doing things the dog would find upsetting and redirecting the dog to games that do not involve chasing the children).

If they get a dog who is not comfortable with children, then the kids simply cannot play outside when the dog is outside unsupervised.

And just to reiterate - the breed of the dog is not the reason for my recommendations. If this were a chihuahua, a Labrador or a Poodle, I'd be saying the same thing. No matter the breed, I would be saying the same thing.

Hopefully your neighbor is a responsible dog owner and will want to keep their new pet safe, and so will be providing a securely fencced area for the dog to spend outside time when unsupervised. Hopefully the dog will be one who loves children and who can spend time with your grandkids and everyone can have a safe and good time.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Worcest, MA Behavior Specialist
Masters candidate - Animals and Public Policy (Animal Behavior)
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
http://NutzAboutMutz.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT