Canine Behavior/Scratch Reflex specifics

Question
Baby & Mishka
Baby & Mishka  
I got a dog off of FB and she is fantastic.  Baby is 8-9 yrs old, black English Lab, very overweight.  My question is why almost every place you scratch or brush her it causes the scratch reflex.  Does this indicate anything about her physically such as nerve damage, if the reflex has to do with nerves and the signals they send when that "ticklish spot" is touched? Her whole body is ticklish or is she actually itchy all over? Or could it be shes super sensitive to touch?  She does seem to scratch herself more in general than my other Lab.  Trying to distinguish between sensitive and itchy.  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Thank you for your question and for the pic of your pups.

I need to start by saying I am neither a veterinarian nor a veterinary neurologist. I have no formal medical training of any kind. I encourage you to speak with your regular vet and have them assess Baby for allergies or other skin conditions that can cause excessive itching. It's important that we don't dismiss unusual behavior on the assumption that it's behavioral. If there's a medical component, we definitely want to treat that. And treating a medical condition (if there is one) could eliminate the unusual behavior issue.

So, the first order of business is a complete veterinary exam to assess Baby's health.

Now, I can share that from my understanding, stimulating a nerve can cause a reflexive action (hammer to our knee and our leg kicks out). For dogs, there are a few areas usually on the chest or belly that typically will cause the scratch reflex. But many dogs have different locations that will also cause that response. It's possible that she is hypersensitive to touch and that is her response. But I would definitely want to rule out allergies or other skin conditions before settling on that. And hypersensitivity may also be indicative of other health conditions, so definitely want to have it investigated.

If it is just the scratch reflex, then that goes to your other question "is she ticklish". I think stimulating the nerve is likely irritating. Is it ticklish or painful or just plain irritating? I don't know if anyone really knows the answer to that. And it may be different for different dogs, or even the same dog at different body locations or under different circumstances.

I'm sorry I can't be of more direct help in solving this puzzle. But until we have a medical report, we don't really know what we're looking at.

I wish you and Baby and Mishka the best.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Worcest, MA Behavior Specialist
Masters candidate - Animals and Public Policy (Animal Behavior)
http://NutzAboutMutz.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT