Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/how to get started?

Hi there!  
So I have always had a natural talent for acting, and I am extremely interested in kind of "going for it".  The problem is, I don't know how to get started!  I will be 28, 5"6', 127lbs, dark brunette, green eyes, very pretty, could pass as several races, and am absolutely (not to toot my own horn!) very talented.  I went to college, took some acting classes, and loved it.  I was hoping maybe you could give me some good agencies around the Philadelphia area that are legit, and not scammers.  I'm sure you hear this A LOT (everything I just said) but, I will definitely be a success if someone gave me the chance.  I just need to get my foot in the door and find that someone who will do just that.  Any references you can give me would be extremely helpful!  Thank you so much!

Thanks for writing. My suggestion would be to reach out to Sharon Pinkenson at the Philadelphia Film Commission and ask her if they have a list of legitimate talent agencies and/or casting directors in the greater Philly area. If she doesn't, you might try contacting the local Screen Actor's Guild office in Philly to see if they have a list.

And if you reach Sharon, send her my best! She's a terrific lady!

Good luck!

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.