Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Movies (Films) v/s Dramas (Plays)

Question
Movies
Movies  
Plays
Plays  
QUESTION: Dear Gai

which according to you for an artist is a more challenging role to portrait i.e In Movies  or Plays (Dramas) ?.

Is it not always the Plays or Dramas because In Plays (Dramas), the artist has to perform live before the audience ?

Example :

There is a Movie "Romeo and Juliet" - 2 hours duration.
There is also a Play "Romeo and Juliet" - 2 hours duration.

Now the artist who has portrait the role of Romeo in both is common. i.e Same Artist has acted in both the Movie as well as
in the Drama.

Is it possible that An Artist who is acting in both Movies as well as in Plays may or may not be successful in one of them ?
i.e. Audience have appreciated his/her acting skills in Movies but not in Plays or vice versa.

if that is the above case what could be the reasons ?. Script,
Co stars, Direction, Music, Environment etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: You have asked many interesting, thought provoking questions in your submission.
In my experience very few actors have the luxury of performing the same role in a movie and a play. This is for many reasons: one addresses the public popularity of an actor to appear in a movie; another is that many times the actor who plays a role in the theatre is not considered for a movie role, because of his/her age by the time the movie is made.

Yes it is possible for an artist appearing in both movies and plays may or may not be successful in one of them. Sometimes in movies the roles may be given to popular actors who are known by television audiences. One of the objectives of movie making is to make money for the backers and production companies, so the most noted actors are cast. For example in the recent Les Miz, Hugh Jackman is both a stage and well-known theatre actor; Anne Hathaway is a noted movie actor. I did not realize that she was a vocalist. Russell Crowe is a well-known movie actor and does not vocally reach the levels set by Jackman and Hathaway.

Only a few times have a movie been made into a play, such as 9 to 5,  STEEL MAGNOLIAS or the new A CHRISTMAS STORY. None of those three examples the same actors from the movies act in the play versions.

It is possible for some to succeed in movies and plays.

It would be interesting for you to research old movies and check a list of theatre actors who acted in movie versions of their plays.

QUESTION: Dear Gai

Thank you.

Do you agree on this point mentioned below ?

In Dramas (Plays), since there is a live performance on the stage before the audience, if specific dialogue lines are not able to recollect by the artist, this can cause a problem during the live stage show, while in movies (films), there is a liberty given to the artists to retake shots if the director do not find it convincing. This could be a major advantage to artists performing in movies over stage dramas ?

Do the above problem can be solved by rehearsals in stage shows ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I agree that movies have the advantage of multiple retakes for any actor who has any difficulty with lines. In the theatre, actors have to improv or have fellow actors help them to progress the story.

The average rehearsal time is one hour of rehearsal after the script is entirely memorized to assure all memorization and technical aspects integration.  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Gai Jones