Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Producing and Family Life

Hi Phil,

I'm seriously considering a career as an entertainment TV producer after I graduate from college. I've already done an internship, spent 3 years at my campus TV station, and taken a few classes, and I love it.
However, what I want to know what impact being a TV producer has on family life (future spouse, future kids). How hard is it for producers to balance time between their work life and personal life? Is it true that many producers's marriages end in divorce?

Any thoughts you have would be helpful!

Thanks for writing. TV producers are, for the most part, writers. If you want to be a successful producer in TV, you must also be a writer, so if your gift is not writing, you might want to look for another profession in TV.

As for a family, it's certainly tougher on women than it is men as women HAVE the child and men don't. Women NURSE the child and men don't. So the demands are greater on women than they are on men. The work day in TV can be a very long day, on average 12 hrs. If your shoot falls behind, it's not uncommon to work 14-16 hrs a day. That can take it's toll on family and marriages. So not all marriages in entertainment work. Consider this long and hard if you want a career in TV and you want a family.

Good luck!

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.