Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Producing and Family Life

Question
Hi Phil,

I'm seriously considering a career as an entertainment TV producer after I graduate from college. I've already done an internship, spent 3 years at my campus TV station, and taken a few classes, and I love it.
However, what I want to know what impact being a TV producer has on family life (future spouse, future kids). How hard is it for producers to balance time between their work life and personal life? Is it true that many producers's marriages end in divorce?

Any thoughts you have would be helpful!

Answer
Annika,

Thanks for writing. TV producers are, for the most part, writers. If you want to be a successful producer in TV, you must also be a writer, so if your gift is not writing, you might want to look for another profession in TV.

As for a family, it's certainly tougher on women than it is men as women HAVE the child and men don't. Women NURSE the child and men don't. So the demands are greater on women than they are on men. The work day in TV can be a very long day, on average 12 hrs. If your shoot falls behind, it's not uncommon to work 14-16 hrs a day. That can take it's toll on family and marriages. So not all marriages in entertainment work. Consider this long and hard if you want a career in TV and you want a family.

Good luck!

Phil

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy