Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Roles in the industry

Question
Hello Mr. Nemy,
My name is Joanne and I've loved film for such a long time, but I realize now as I join the film industry as an actress/writer I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm not exactly sure of the roles the writers/actors/directors/and producers play. I don't know of the greats and who I am expected to know, I feel like im starting from scratch. I would like to know the different purposes of those involved in the movie making process and what exactly is expected of the actress when given a role. also if you can throw in alittle bit about where to start when seeking the classics ( films, plays,actor/actress') Thank you so very much.

Answer
Joanne,

Thanks for writing and welcome to the industry. Unfortunately, the questions you've asked don't have simple answers. I could write volumes on the roles each person working in the industry plays. Try and be more specific otherwise I'll be here for a month writing an answer! :)

As for viewing classic films, start by watching the films on the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films list. It's a great list of films and they are often used as examples by current filmmakers when talking about great acting, directing, writing and cinematography moments.

Good luck!

Phil

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy