Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Roles in the industry

Hello Mr. Nemy,
My name is Joanne and I've loved film for such a long time, but I realize now as I join the film industry as an actress/writer I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm not exactly sure of the roles the writers/actors/directors/and producers play. I don't know of the greats and who I am expected to know, I feel like im starting from scratch. I would like to know the different purposes of those involved in the movie making process and what exactly is expected of the actress when given a role. also if you can throw in alittle bit about where to start when seeking the classics ( films, plays,actor/actress') Thank you so very much.

Thanks for writing and welcome to the industry. Unfortunately, the questions you've asked don't have simple answers. I could write volumes on the roles each person working in the industry plays. Try and be more specific otherwise I'll be here for a month writing an answer! :)

As for viewing classic films, start by watching the films on the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films list. It's a great list of films and they are often used as examples by current filmmakers when talking about great acting, directing, writing and cinematography moments.

Good luck!

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.