Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Dubbing Voice in Plays.

QUESTION: Dear Lance

1. Is it possible to Dub voice in Plays as there are live performances by artists as compared to Movies ?.

2. What will you prefer as a play director in this scenario for taking decisions ?.

Performing Artist reports Sore Throat, Cold problem which will not allow him/her to narrate properly just 1 day before the play ?.

a. Replacing the Artist with another Artist.
b. Dubbing voice for the Artist played in background by another artist. i.e. The Same Artist will act in the play, only in the background another voice will be playing which the artist has to synchronize.
c. Cancelling the Play.

Among a,b,c which is best suited for taking a decision and under what conditions and parameters ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly. There aren't a lot of times that voice overs are needed in plays. At times there are, but they usually have actors who are off-stage doing those voices. I've done them before, several times.

But, to answer your options, it would be A

QUESTION: Dear Lance

Thank you.

You have interpreted my question correctly.

As a example, you are the Play director of the Famous William Shakespeare's Play "Romeo and Juliet". Now the Lead performers playing the part of Romeo or Juliet had the sore throat problem, but not critically ill and just one day in advance before the play. Now you could have taken a decision of either a,b or c.

In this case, you selected Option a.

Another Scenario

The scenario is that the Lead Role who is playing the role of Romeo or Juliet is a well known theater artist personality. i.e. Audiences are going to watch the play and have purchased tickets because of the famous artist who is acting in the play of either Romeo or Juliet.

So i would really like to know if you had much more time (not a single day, but say 3-4 days), Is it really difficult for practice and match up the one actors voice with the other's mouth ?.

i.e. Behind the curtain another artist is narrating dialogues with a microphone while the famous artist is doing lip movements and gestures.
As you correctly interpreted, the lip movements and the voice behind should synchronize.  

In this case, the audience will be able to see Romeo or Juliet in play but the voice will be not the original voice of the famous artist portraying the role of Romeo or Juliet.

Have you ever encountered such a situation ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Well, for the first question, there would be an understudy. For lead roles like that, there would (most always) be an understudy for a situation like this.

For the second scenario, I've never heard of something like that, except for in movies where they want to have some kind of crazy situation :)  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Lance Carter

I'm a professional actor. I can answer most questions about the acting industry, help out in becoming an actor, and general acting related questions. I can also answer questions about TV, film and theatre.

I'm a professional actor and a member of SAG-AFTRA and Actors Equity. I've been appeared in film, tv and tons of theatre.

SAG-AFTRA Actors Equity Member of the San Diego Film Critics Society

Daily Actor - Broadway World -

I minored in Theatre at Towson University