Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Acting

I'm 12 (year 8) and I want to become a professional actress.
Ok, so I'll tell you a bit more about me and drama...
I have always loved gymnastics, I still do, I have always loved doing school plays, I never got the main parts then but that's because I knew nothing about drama. How does gymnastics come into it? Well they both perform and that is what I love.
When I joined my school I auditioned to do a speech, and I did, and I absolutely loved it. I started doing drama lessons at school and then drama clubs at school, I still do. I also joined Stageworks. I then did the school drama competition, auditioned and got through doing a duologue, play and then another play, I had so much fun, we had loads of rehearsals and tech rehearsals in the theatre and drama studio, btw my school specialises in the performing arts. I now do lots of plays and performances at school. I should now be joining the PQA, hopefully and I have done loads of research and practising. But I have a problem, If you want a main part in the school play you have to sing and dance, I can't sing, I hate it and am not planning on learning any time soon.
So here are my questions:
1) How to find a good drama school, any suggestions for good ones?
2) How to get my parents to know how much I love acting?
3) Any good websites, books, monologues ext...?
4) How to get started ( mainly in film rather than theatre) ?
Thanks so much for any helpxxx
Daisy :)

You have many good questions here. It shows that you are a serious student of Theatre and want to do well.
1. When you ask about a good drama school, I need to know are you talking about college? If so, you can search on the web for colleges with BA or BFA in Theatre in a location where you might want to live.
2. I think if you have serious discussions about your love of Theatre, they will understand.
I recommend that you think about going to a college/university with a Liberal Arts emphasis, so you can major in Theatre and study others subjects as well.
3. Yes, there are lots of good websites, books, monologues.
You can once again search on the web for age appropriate monologues for girls your age. Read lots of plays such as THE MIRACLE WORKER.
Look at Dramatic Publishing website and Merriwether Publishing for monologue books for your age.
4. If you are interested in film acting, then you need to search for colleges with Acting for the Camera.

As far as musicals in your school, you might talk to your teachers to see if they can do at least one nonmusical each year, and maybe do an evening of scenes from nonmusical plays.  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Gai Jones

I can answer the following questions: How can I choose the right college to study Theatre Arts? How can I prepare a monologue for audition? What do I need to study to become a Theatre educator? How can I use Theatre techniques in leadership positions? How can I implement ensemble Theatre experiences for class/cast/staff development? I prefer not to answer any questions about agent recommendations.

I have fifty years of work in Theatre education. I am an professional Theatre educator, actress, director, and producer. I have two published Theatre education books. I have taught all levels, including elementary through college/university and senior citizen acting. I have experience in leading national ensemble building experiences using Theatre techniques.

AFTRA/SAG 2002-present, EdTA member since 1968, Thespian Director, Senior Theatre League, Professional Member, Past Territorial Director/Past Regional Director, AATE Member, CA Representative, Americans for the Arts, CA Educational Theatre Association, member, membership V.P, Past President, CA Thespians, Ex Trustee, VP membership, past Director, CA Teachers Association, CAAE board member, CSUF Alumni Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, Drama Teachers Associations of So. CA, Member, Membership Secretary, Girl Scouts of America, Grady County Historical Society, Legislative Action Committee, National Educational Association, Order of the Eastern Star, Parent Teacher Student Association, USAO Alumni Association, Zeta Phi Eta

RAISING THE CURTAIN BREAK A LEG Secondary Schools of Theatre Association “Shop Talk” EdTA “Teaching Theatre” AATE “Stage and School” AATE Guest Editor and contributor “Stage of the Art” Theatre Arts Curriculum, grades s7-12 LA TIMES BACKSTAGE WEST DRAMALOGUE STAGE DIRECTIONS CETA News Journal CETA Position Paper 2007 Sage to Stage Curriculum, senior citizen Osher Institute Curriculum, CSU, Channel Islands CSU, East Bay, Curriculum professional developments

BA Speech and Drama Oklahoma College for Women MA in Theatre CSU Fulerton, CA Teacher Fullerton Union District Placentia Yorba LInda Unified District Instructor Fulleton College Associate Professor, CA State University, East Bay Workshops with NYU, Roosevelt, Northern Colorado University, University of CA, Irvine, A.C.T., University of Texas, Austin, UCLA, ComedySportzLA, Junior High Teaching Credential Life Time Standard Secondary Credential Administrative Credential

Black Box Theater renamed GAI JONES THEATER, El Dorado H.S. Placentia, CA 2002; The World’s Who’s Who of Women; Secondary Educators of America; Young Educators of America, CAAE Leader in Theatre Education; Stage Directions-Leaders in America; Outstanding Arts Educator, Orange County; CETA Outstanding Educator/Life time Achievement Award; CA State Thespians Hall of Fame; EdTA Hall of Fame.

over 25,000 students, past and present