Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/books

Question
hello sir thankyou for the last reply  one question left and that is can you give me the names of at least half a dozen books about the craft of film directing not something for one who is aspiring to be but for the one who is allready half way there to the most advances   please help  thanks   dillon

Answer
Hi Val,

While I'm not a director and have no aspirations to be one, I do try to familiarize myself with some of the psychology and technique of directing, being an actor. Austin, Texas is serioua hotbed of indie film production, with at least a hundred indie films going on at any time.

While you may have the best script, best acting and best production quality possible, yje other hand is having money for promotion. Most of these films will require going on the festival circuit to try to attract studios to buy the film and use their "machine" to make the trip to bigger screens. I imagine their are books for that, but that is off-subject here.

I will however mention a small piece of trivia here: The Wilson brothers (two of the are the actors, the other is actually a director) filmed "Bottle Rocket" here. It was a big hit as an indie film. So much, that a major studio wanted them to do it over with better equipment, some other actors, etc. It flopped then. Hmmmm!

Anyway, here are some good directing books for the indie director:

SHOT BY SHOT Steven D. Katz

MASTER SHOTS Christopher Kenworthy

DIRECTIING ACTORS Judith Weston

Acting For The Camera- Tony Barr

On Directing Film by David Mamet

Rebel Without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez

Hope these help!

Best,

Taylor  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Taylor Sheppard