Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/film scenes

the good thing about film is there need not be a 100 percent grammatical pattern as it would be say in a film thesis or writing a book but when it comes to film directing and some of the number of scenes are kind of jumbled around inother words swapped from their positions would the movie be just as good  what are your thoughts about that sir  please reply  val dillon

Hi Val,

Gotta say, I am puzzled. When a movie is shot, it IS usually filmed out of order, for any of a multitude of reasons. Sometimes, because an actor's hair will need to "get long" during his character's ordeal. It takes too long to grow naturally in the few months of filming. An exception to this was "Castaway" with Tom Hanks. The production actually shut down for 6 months while he lost an astonishing amount of weight and grew hair and a beard. As we are seeing now, it's risky filming a movie, even though bonding companies will insure a production against not being able to finish a film, they try to reduce their risk by insisting the actors do not do things during the filming period that could hurt or kill racing cars (RIP Paul Walker). Other reasons are as simple as not having to film at a specific location and then come back later for later shots. Each time you do a "company move" it eats up time and brings expense. Also, if something changes with the location during the time away, can you fix it? Say a field goes from green to brown, like when the movie "Hoffa" was filmed.

As I said, many reasons to shoot a film out of order, not ANY I can imagine for editing something out of order. It is hard enough to NOT confuse an audience while just trying to tell the story, without that. In fact many good films have been slammed by critics for confusing "flashbacks" and "flash forwards".

Best, Taylor

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Taylor Sheppard

I can answer questions: on starting a career in acting, mistakes in acting, etiquette when dealing with industry contacts, finer points on how to act, and things to avoid in the field.

I have been a professional actor 21 years, with appearances in TV, Film and commercials. I have made good decisions and potentially damaging mistakes. I believe anyone who has a dream deserves to explore it, and I take their aspirations seriously. That being said, I do not pull punches. I try to be tactful, but I will not lie to someone, honesty is more effective. My last film role was in "Teeth" which was picked for Sundance in January 2007. It was sold to Lionsgate and Weinstein Co. for somewhere over 2.5 million. The role was "Mr. Griffith", a sex-ed teacher.

Ciao Agency-Austin/Georgetown, Texas. (Formerly known as Donna Adams Agency. Matthew McConaughey was a good friend and fellow member. I also have belonged to agencies in three other Texas cities, but they have since closed.) TXMPA -Texas Motion Picture Alliance. Various other internet networking web rings as well as Actors Access. I was instrumental in advising actress Krista Allen on getting her career in acting started in Austin,Texas (we worked at the same Health Club in the early '90's).

Previously wrote on a now defunct website such as this one. I enjoyed helping new actors.

I have acted for 21 years. I studied under James Nelson Harrell as well as other talented actors at Southwest Texas State University. After college, I have taken classes with Julliard graduate Mona Lee, Bill Johnson, Van Brookes, Marco Perella and others in Austin Texas. I am constantly attending classes to maintain my edge and explore new directions. In addition to attending strictly acting classes, I have also taken business workshops with respected casting directors, such as Shari Rhodes ("Jaws","Close Encounters", "Raggedy Man".) Barbara Brinkley, Jo Edna Bolden and Donise Hardy, (Castingworks LA).