Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Broadway on dvd?

I am really curious as to why isn't Broadway available on dvd?  Recently the Broadway run of Evita Ended but so many people didn't get to see it,, so why not when certain runs End can't they release them on DVD?  movies, concerts, sports are available why can't broadway do that with now ended shows?  If a show has ended wouldn't they make more money by releasing them on DVD? thanks for your insights!!

Thanks for your note. I think the biggest reason that broadway shows are not released on DVD is that most don't translate well to the small screen. Theatre is innately intimate and immediate - to experience it the right way, the rich way, the emotional way, you have to be in the actual theatre watching the performance unfold in front of your eyes, feeling the emotion a mere few feet from you, sharing in the intimacy of the performance. The reaction from an audience is immediate and THAT can't be captured on a DVD.

My humble philosophy...

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.