Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Broadway on dvd?

Question
I am really curious as to why isn't Broadway available on dvd?  Recently the Broadway run of Evita Ended but so many people didn't get to see it,, so why not when certain runs End can't they release them on DVD?  movies, concerts, sports are available why can't broadway do that with now ended shows?  If a show has ended wouldn't they make more money by releasing them on DVD? thanks for your insights!!

Answer
Michael,

Thanks for your note. I think the biggest reason that broadway shows are not released on DVD is that most don't translate well to the small screen. Theatre is innately intimate and immediate - to experience it the right way, the rich way, the emotional way, you have to be in the actual theatre watching the performance unfold in front of your eyes, feeling the emotion a mere few feet from you, sharing in the intimacy of the performance. The reaction from an audience is immediate and THAT can't be captured on a DVD.

My humble philosophy...

Phil

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy