Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Child talent agent audition

My daughter, 8, will be auditioning for a talent agent in Chicago and needs to prepare a 1 minute contemporary monologue. This agency books both theatre and tv/film. I am not sure if a dramatic or comedic monologue would be best.  This is an open call and I cannot contact them with questions.  Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your note. Chances are your daughter will most likely be cast in a comedic role. There aren't that many dramatic roles for kids her age in film/TV and theater. That said, comedy is not easy! If you believe your child has an innate sense of comic timing, and understands that an actor doesn't "play comedy", they play the reality of the circumstance as believably as they can, and out of that reality comes the absurdity, which is the comedy. If she gets that innately, or can at least be coached to understand this approach, then I'd say have her attempt a comedic piece.

If that serves to be too difficult a challenge, then do a dramatic piece.

Good luck!

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.