Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/My career

I have always wanted to be an entertainer and there is no other way I'd rather spend my life than pursuing my dream and making it come true. My question for you is do you see that potential in me, that greatness and spark that would say I have a pretty good chance at making it in this business. I know that you have to have the drive, determination, talent, and confidence etc. but when it comes to looks that's a whole other story. I don't exactly have self esteem issues and I am not conceded but I know that looks have a lot to do with the industry I want to be in. I was hoping You could give me some answers as to your opinion on me. Could you see a face like mine in making it in the film industry? Please be honest and detailed. Also could give me some actually helpful tips on how I should go about my career. I can Act, Sing and Model. Please sir give me all the advice you can muster in an answer. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for writing. In all honesty, who am I to say whether you can make it as a successful actress or not? If you're asking me if you have the right face for film, I'd answer it this way: If someone said to me that based on looks alone did I think Tom Hanks or Seth Rogen or Melissa McCarthy would ever have a successful acting career, I would have said no. I don't find them to be the typical "attractive" movie star. What Tom Hanks DOES have is talent. What Melissa McCarthy DOES have is talent. What Seth Rogen has it a particular character look and style that works for the kinds of characters he plays. Most major stars do NOT have talent, but they DO have the ability to play one character that closely resembles who they are. So don't try to be something you're not - instead, just be the beautiful young actress that you are.

What I'm getting at is this - almost ANYONE can be a successful actor if he/she has the following: talent, training, drive, passion, the right relationships, being in the right place at the right time, and the willingness to NEVER give up! There are only so many parts in films, TV shows, and professional theater every year, but there are 10,000 times more actors than there are parts! So the reality is that many, many, many talented actors are never able to obtain the part that will move them into stardom. You can't be down on yourself if you're not cast. You can't be discouraged if your career doesn't take off. You simply have to be happy for the opportunity to pursue your dream, and NEVER give up on that dream.

What I would suggest you do is get the best training you can afford, move to Los Angeles or New York City where 95% of all film, TV and theater is cast, continue to study and develop your talent, and be grateful that you are young, healthy and God has blessed you with the talent you have to be able to pursue your career. Be grateful for everyone you meet in the industry and maintain relationships with them, be grateful for any opportunity that comes your way that allows you to perform whether you're paid for your work or not, and be prepared and humble when the opportunities DO come your way.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps you anyway.

Good luck!

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Phil Nemy

I am a motion picture and television producer with over 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry. I am also the author of the book GET A REEL JOB: Finding Your First Job In The Motion Picture Industry In Los Angeles. I can answers questions on a variety of subjects about careers in film from acting to directing to crew work, getting into the unions, successful strategies for networking, etc.

Former VP, Production for The Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group Supervised production on such films as ARMAGEDDON, THE PRINCESS DIARIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS, PEARL HARBOR, CON AIR, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, COYOTE UGLY, A CIVIL ACTION, ROMY & MICHELE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION, NOTHING TO LOSE, EDDIE and others. Worked as an actor, stage manager, director on broadway and regional theater as well as L.A.' Equity-waiver scene. Former Associate Artistic Director of Los Angeles Equity-Waiver theater.

Director's Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Actor's Equity Association

BFA in Acting/Directing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I've worked with such filmmakers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Tony Scott, Steve Zaillian, Scott Rudin, Garry Marshall, Frank Marshall, Michael Bay, etc.