Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Mother agency contract

Question
I was recently given a mother agency contract to bring home and review from a group here in Atlanta. Based on questions and answers I have read here and elsewhere I still have a few questions about signing a mother agency contract.

I know Atlanta is not one of the 'large' markets but I'm not sure that it would be considered small either. Could it be advantageous to me to sign a mother agency contract here if they are ready and willing to help problem me into a larger market, or would it be wise to see if I can sign elsewhere first?

Tips, ideas and suggestions are all appreciated.

Thanks so much
-Mark

P.S. if you have info for how to contact appropriate local legal counsel in regards to the matter I would appreciate that as well.

Answer
If the mother agency is willing to place you in an agency in a larger market, and has the ability to do so, it may be worth paying them a percentage.  However, you are wise to seek out legal counsel regarding the specifics in the contract, and how it might affect you in the future.

If the mother agency has told you the details of what they see as your likely career path, you can also choose to bypass them and submit your information directly to the agencies in the larger markets that they may have mentioned.

It may be that you can consult with one of the attorneys on AllExperts, or get a referral via your local bar association.  They sometimes offer the first 30 minute consultation for a nominal fee, and in your case it shouldn't take long to glance through a contract.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you and I wish you much success.

~Kitty  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey