Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Offers for Acting in Foreign Films.

Question
Dear Peter

1. Are there challenges to accept offers to act in foreign
films ?.

What i mean by a Foreign Film is a Movie which has a different Language spoken in the movie by Artists etc German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch etc other than English Language ?.

2. On a Personal Level, Will you accept these offers ?.

As a example a French Film Maker approaches you with the script and the role to be portrayed, will you accept these offer ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant, Sorry to be so long answering. Your question has different answers, depending on the details.
If you have been approached about playing a part in a film which is to be shot in another country, be very cautious. Two things make me suspicious: what does this person know about your on-camera work? A foreign producer can't afford to fly someone in who looks good but blows up when the cameras roll.Do you have the right to work in the foreign country? It's very rare for real casting to be done anywhere away from the producers' offices.
If this film is to be shot in your country, the situation is still not necessarily all good -- You may have the voice and the accent, but what do you sound like alongside others? If I were making a multi-lingual film, I should need to know whether you conversation sounds nicer than the next actor, when you are supposed to be the baddie. The saame problem with your on-camera abilities applies.
Or what if you and another cast member sounded very much alike, language excepted?
There are so many ways this could be a scam, just set up to make money from keen actors, and such a small chance of its being legitimate. The scam details might change, but typically the victim is praised wildly, and involved in the preparations for the film, but then is found to lack something (a Universal Casting number, extra acting skills, photographs, directory entries ...), which the producer can get cheap for you. How much depends on what they think you can just afford. Then the demands grow until you complain about paying. Then suddenly your man is unavailable (On Location, In Sardinia, Snorkel Fishing with the A&E chief), then the phone isn't answered at all.
A standard approach from a film would be from a  casting director: they'd set up a chance for you to read from the script, after this you don't hear anything, the director and all his friends and relations argue about you, you and the story, you and the rest of the cast, you and the character (you might get brought in the shoot a small test scene), then you might be told you're 'on hold'. This actually doesn't mean much, it's a way of discouraging you from getting other work which would conflict with their shooting dates. And finally, after you'd forgotten all about it, an offer might come in.
I'm sorry, your story doesn't add up, please don't risk it. At least find out all you can about the producer and the script.  But don't hold your breath.  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Peter Messaline