Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Interesting trend in Hollywood

So this is an interesting thing I noticed in the industry lately. So many young girls getting cast in older sister roles where they tease, torment, and torture their younger siblings in most cases a younger brother for enjoyment. Some examples include Modern Family, The Goldbergs, and even a lot of questions you get asked here. What's the trend for this type of role? Are writers looking back at their childhoods? Did you ever torment your siblings growing up Kitty?

I suppose if you look back on Roseanne, Family Ties, the Cosby Show, the Partridge Family, the Brady Bunch or the Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, each typified what the media (and the viewing public) would recognize as a reflection of the times.  Most of those programs were based on or inspired by real life experiences of the writer(s)/show creators, dramatized of course to create the comedy and sometimes dealing with a serious issue that is typical of sitcoms.  Standards for what is okay to show on television has also become more relaxed over the years, as has the real-life behavior at home.  Times change, societies change, and television/film changes with it.  I suspect every decade or so will continue to change television as the times change.

I had one brother growing up, and met another brother as an adult.  I can't imagine even wanting to torment either of them, nor anyone else.  That's just my personality, and would probably make for a very boring TV show.  In sitcoms, it is often the conflict that creates the comedy.  While I'm sure there are often elements of sitcoms in the 'average' family's life, the majority don't share an exact replica of what we watch on screen.  Depends on who you ask as to whether it is worse or better in 'real life' - and that's not taking into account the cultural differences - American children compared to children from various other lands.  Personally, though - I have not had a contentious relationship with either of my siblings.

Thanks for your thought-provoking question,

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey

I can answer questions from those looking to get into the fashion or commercial modeling industry. Specifically, the requirements, what is needed, how to find an agent, what they look for, how to avoid scams, the difference between what a commercial model does, and a fashion model, would travel/relocation be required, what is on a comp card and in your portfolio.

Both my acting and modeling resume/portfolio is available online on my website. I am a member of the Screen Actors Guild, and also have available my actor's demo reel and voice-over demo online. I founded both the and websites, which provide free modeling and acting info to the public. I have moved into directing, producing and screenwriting - and have won awards for my writing. I have worked in the industry as both a model and actress in Florida, New York City and Los Angeles until October 2007. I now reside in Europe.