Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Setting out to produce my play

Hi Rusty,

I'm hoping... hoping that you'll be able to help me. I'm a playwright living in New York City. I'm setting out to baby-step my way to producing my new play, with a self-producing book and potential leads I find. I am formerly a theater actor. I'm in my late 30's. For a few years, I've been out of the game due to discouragement. But, I want to do this. Contacting old colleagues for advice- some of them having always been supportive- has proven difficult. Either they don't know the answers to my questions or they simply don't want to give me the answers. I think it may be a little of both. But, I still think I can make it.

I'm trying to put together a budget. I imagine it will be a short run (I'm guessing 3-4 days). I'm looking at Performance Space 122 here in Manhattan, but I haven't made contact (They're closed for renovations until next year). I don't know how much the space will cost. I know they provide box office support.

What is the average cost for good actors?
(I understand the equity pays a minimum of $380 a week)

What is the average cost of a designer, director, stage manager and advertising?

Your profile says you're EXTREMELY EXPERIENCED. I need EXTREMELY EXPERIENCED advice. Whatever assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time during your busy schedule.

I haven't lived in Manhattan for several years.
But AEA might be able to give you a much better deal on that short of a run.
They have a variety of contracts that pay much less to the performer.
It depends on the size of the space of course and how long the rehearsals and performances are.
Actors are hungry for showcase type work to be seen by directors, casting people and produces.
They also will try and fill the house with friends and family members as well.
So giving comps, not charging for performances may sound like a waste to some.
At least might get your play seen by some "money people that may want to produce it for you.  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Rusty Meyers

A 30+ year Vested member of SAG AFTRA EQUITY

Best Director (City Life Magazine) Las Vegas, NV. 2006 Best Actor Award for the 48 Hour Film Festival.

Past/Present Clients Founder/Director of RAW (Real Actors Workshop) in Las Vegas, NV. 702-939-8080