Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Oscar Academy Awards.

Dear Peter‎‎

The Oscar Awards are given to different categories viz Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Best Story etc

Among the final films selected for Oscar nominations, it would be difficult for the panel of judges to nominate and select the film

For example : Oscar Awards nominated to Film "Gandhi" in different categories viz Best Director, Best Film, Best Supporting role etc.

Can you tell us if you are one of the panel members and would like
to nominate a Oscar Award to a Film, how will you select among 3-5 films finalists ?. i.e. Criteria.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Impossible to be very helpful here, I'm afraid.
Each panel member has different personal reasons for voting for an award -- personal, political, and artistic.
In addition, each panellist is subjected to pressure from the outside, both obvious and subtle, direct and through intermediaries.
This mystery is part of the atraction of the Ocscars and feeds many office arguments.

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Peter Messaline

This is the place for Canadian answers! My company runs "The Advisors", a Toronto-based career-power network for performers, producers and entertainment artists of all sorts. I am a performer, and I have not had a joe-job in the last thirty-odd years, so I must be doing something right. I can talk about career moves, self-promotion, self-production, and the business sense that turns your art into a living.

I am the most published Canadian arts entrepreneur.
The Actor's Survival Kit, Tax Kit 2000+, Tax CD, The Art of Managing Your Career.

Canadian Equity, ACTRA, AEA, BAEA

The Actor's Survival Kit, Tax Kit 2000+, The Agents Book, The Art of Managing Your Career, The Organizer, Equity News, ACTRA newsletters.

"Many people in the audience applauded warmly when it was time for him to leave the stage" (Local review of my Bill Walker in "Major Barbara" at the Shaw Festival.