Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Oscar Academy Awards.

Dear Taylor‎‎

The Oscar Awards are given to different categories viz Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Best Story etc

Among the final films selected for Oscar nominations, it would be difficult for the panel of judges to nominate and select the film

For example : Oscar Awards nominated to Film "Gandhi" in different categories viz Best Director, Best Film, Best Supporting role etc.

Can you tell us if you are one of the panel members and would like
to nominate a Oscar Award to a Film, how will you select among 3-5 films finalists ?. i.e. Criteria.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

The Academy Awards ("Oscars") are voted on and by the entire membership of the Academy.

As to the nominations, I believe there is an initial vote by the members for films who qualify for nomination, then there is the main vote by all the members of the films who were chosen.

To qualify there are a number of rules, but mainly, that the film was in theaters before the end of the award year. Often that is very few theaters, Why? Because memories are short. You want your film to be a very recent memory. As long as it was in a small number of theaters (requiring very few copies to be made). There is also a LOT of politics involved amongst the members to get votes for movies.

An un-substanciated rumor has it from decades ago that the whole purpose of this award was to gain attention and ticket sales for poor performing films...

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Taylor Sheppard

I can answer questions: on starting a career in acting, mistakes in acting, etiquette when dealing with industry contacts, finer points on how to act, and things to avoid in the field.

I have been a professional actor 21 years, with appearances in TV, Film and commercials. I have made good decisions and potentially damaging mistakes. I believe anyone who has a dream deserves to explore it, and I take their aspirations seriously. That being said, I do not pull punches. I try to be tactful, but I will not lie to someone, honesty is more effective. My last film role was in "Teeth" which was picked for Sundance in January 2007. It was sold to Lionsgate and Weinstein Co. for somewhere over 2.5 million. The role was "Mr. Griffith", a sex-ed teacher.

Ciao Agency-Austin/Georgetown, Texas. (Formerly known as Donna Adams Agency. Matthew McConaughey was a good friend and fellow member. I also have belonged to agencies in three other Texas cities, but they have since closed.) TXMPA -Texas Motion Picture Alliance. Various other internet networking web rings as well as Actors Access. I was instrumental in advising actress Krista Allen on getting her career in acting started in Austin,Texas (we worked at the same Health Club in the early '90's).

Previously wrote on a now defunct website such as this one. I enjoyed helping new actors.

I have acted for 21 years. I studied under James Nelson Harrell as well as other talented actors at Southwest Texas State University. After college, I have taken classes with Julliard graduate Mona Lee, Bill Johnson, Van Brookes, Marco Perella and others in Austin Texas. I am constantly attending classes to maintain my edge and explore new directions. In addition to attending strictly acting classes, I have also taken business workshops with respected casting directors, such as Shari Rhodes ("Jaws","Close Encounters", "Raggedy Man".) Barbara Brinkley, Jo Edna Bolden and Donise Hardy, (Castingworks LA).