Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Electronic Curtains in Movie and Play Theaters.

Question
Dear Taylor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain‎

Is it possible to design and develop electronic curtains where with the help of remote control, the curtain can be moved from

1. Left to Right Movement of Curtain.
2. Right to left Movement of Curtain.
3. Pull up the Curtain.
4. Pull down the Curtain.

There will be push buttons on the Curtain remote control for Various Curtain Operations.

Is it possible to customize the product to use in Theaters where we watch movies and plays ?. The theater curtain will open,close, move from left to right,right to left, pull up, pull down as operated by the remote control device with the push buttons.

So this electronic curtain product will have different flavors to be installed in residential houses, offices, movie and play theaters.

Thanks & Regards,

Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Its possible that someone has invented curtains such as these, but I am not familiar with them. I am sure that it could be possible to create them, however.
The one big difference in them would be the raising effect...that is strictly a theater effect. In theater, the curtains lift by cables, pulleys, and counterweights, which offset the weight and difficulty of pulling up the curtain by hand. The theater is built with a "stage box" which is a space above the stage for the curtains to"fly" up into. That would be the difficult part to solve.
If the motors were strong, the curtain could roll up, but they would have to unroll, before they could move side to side.

In old times, theaters only had side to side curtains. I suppose an easier solution would be two sets of curtains...one to roll up, one to move side to side.

Best, Taylor

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Taylor Sheppard