Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/How do you prepare for your first feature film role?

Question
Amanda
Amanda  
My name is Keri I just booked the co-starring role of older sister 20 year old Amanda in my first feature film "Lies I Told My Little Sister" After the death of her oldest sister, a globe-trotting nature photographer is guilted onto a family trip to Cape Cod - along with the younger sister she used to torment. Amid recriminations, revelations, a very weird shopkeeper and an old romance, they square off against the patterns of childhood.

Up till this point I've done only short films, but do you have any advice on how I should prepare for this role? This role involves my character at different ages threw flashback scenes from about age 5 to 20 years old so I'll be working along side some other great talent to help make this story come together. I just got the script it involves comedy, drama, and romance. This script is based of the directors childhood experiences.  

Thanks Kitty!

Answer
There are different ways a performer can choose to prepare for a role.  In your case, since you have already worked in short films, I would suggest that you just think of this film as another one of those, or a series of short films shot consecutively.  The concept is the same.  Read the script and learn about who your character is, and how they react to what happens around them.  If they are naturally nervous, or innately aggressive your body language and behavior should reflect that, just like the work you have already done in short films.    You do your best to learn the lines you need for a period of shooting.  You should be told what scenes you need to prepare for, so generally do not have to learn the entire script all on your first day (or week) of shooting.  The director is there to guide you.  You may surprise them with your character choices, or they may direct you to try things another way - either way, they want you to be the most successful in your role you can possibly be.  You are bringing to life real or imagined people and situations to share with an audience.  Keep in mind that you got your role because you were the best for it, you already have the skills necessary to do the work successfully.  Do take the time to understand the overall picture and your character, but don't let yourself get caught up in the size of the production, the number of lines you have to learn, or anything that takes you away from your character and bringing them to life.

I wish you continued success,
~Kitty  

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey