Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Son got a call back for indie remake of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Hi Kitty,

My son has been on a few TV shows including Wizards of Waverly Place in small roles, when we heard about auditions for a independent remake of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? This is time the script centers around much younger kids including a younger brother named James, and his older sister Bernadette who will be played by Modern Family's Ariel Winter.

The story follows a former child star who torments her crippled brother in a decaying Hollywood mansion. It's horror meets comedy!

After the producers, and director watched the tape we got called back for a second audition! This is my son's biggest role yet so how do we approach the second round of auditions so he nails it down?

Congratulations to your son.  If nervousness is the problem, there are a lot of different techniques; breathing, meditation, yoga, EFT, and so forth that can help keep your son calm in daily life and just before he auditions.  

Ideally, if he's through the first round, for the callbacks he should do/behave exactly how he did it the first time.  Whatever he did, they want to see more of that.  Then have him listen carefully to any direction that is given.  If they say, that was perfect, can you do it again louder, or with less movement or as if you had just lost your puppy, give them your best of what they ask for.  But since he already did the first audition well, don't change anything until instructed.

And in the meantime, keep reminding him that he did well already, and help him to relax and find his inner confidence if he's feeling nervous before the callback.

I wish him continued success,

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey

I can answer questions from those looking to get into the fashion or commercial modeling industry. Specifically, the requirements, what is needed, how to find an agent, what they look for, how to avoid scams, the difference between what a commercial model does, and a fashion model, would travel/relocation be required, what is on a comp card and in your portfolio.

Both my acting and modeling resume/portfolio is available online on my website. I am a member of the Screen Actors Guild, and also have available my actor's demo reel and voice-over demo online. I founded both the and websites, which provide free modeling and acting info to the public. I have moved into directing, producing and screenwriting - and have won awards for my writing. I have worked in the industry as both a model and actress in Florida, New York City and Los Angeles until October 2007. I now reside in Europe.