Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Difficult scene to film w/my onscreen little brother

Hi Kitty,

I booked a lead role in a honor thriller film about a 16 year old girl who babysits her 10 year old little brother till the lights go-out, and they suspect something is haunting them inside the house. It's a fantastic script, but in one key scene towards the beginning I'm watching TV and tell my bratty little brother if he doesn't go to bed the mail man will come in the middle of the night to his room with a bloody hatchet. The scene is pretty hilarious after I scare him, but he still won't go upstairs so I start tickling him on the couch for about a minute just before the lights go-out. I start by tickling his stomach, and bare outie belly button because he's wearing PJs that are too small for him then lastly I tickle his feet saying poor Jeremy I'll stop if you go to bed! It's a very cute scene.

My question is the actor playing my little brother is super ticklish during the first take he was laughing so hard he almost kicked me in the face and need to re-film, and I have to tickle him for one minute. I don't have any problem with the scene and my kid brother is fine with it we're both professional sag, but he's just so ticklish I really wanna help him get threw the scene.  Any advice?

There are a couple things you could try that might be helpful.  You could take some time to practice "pretend" tickling with your film brother.  That is, to work out different pressure or manners of actually touching him that would still appear as actual tickling, without the overwhelming intensity.  If you two aren't able to come up with something on your own, working with the director to come up with a way to make it look on camera as if you are actually tickling him, without touching - such as they sometimes do with punches, slaps or other unwanted contact on set - might be a good solution.  If necessary, the director may allow you to cut the minute of tickling down, perhaps you get in one or two good tickles, and then your little brother can temporarily overpower you, while still laughing.  Generally, the director and the others on set will want to get the scene, and would be glad to work with you both to get the shot they want.

Good luck to you both,

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey

I can answer questions from those looking to get into the fashion or commercial modeling industry. Specifically, the requirements, what is needed, how to find an agent, what they look for, how to avoid scams, the difference between what a commercial model does, and a fashion model, would travel/relocation be required, what is on a comp card and in your portfolio.

Both my acting and modeling resume/portfolio is available online on my website. I am a member of the Screen Actors Guild, and also have available my actor's demo reel and voice-over demo online. I founded both the and websites, which provide free modeling and acting info to the public. I have moved into directing, producing and screenwriting - and have won awards for my writing. I have worked in the industry as both a model and actress in Florida, New York City and Los Angeles until October 2007. I now reside in Europe.