Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Remembering Lines

How do actors remember lines from a script?  Do all actors have photographic memories that allows them to remember lines?  I have a really difficult time remembering lines.  I usually request small one or two line parts or request to be an extra in small independent student films. I do, however, like being an extra.

I thank you for your reply.

There are several techniques which you might employ. Divide your lines into beats by emotions, topics, objectives. Taking each section, you can say a line, then write the line (not typing or computing-the act of writing helps connect the brain to the line.)
You can act out each word as you say the word. You can visualize an action for each word. Announce the word then act it out.
You can record your lines, leaving a pause for you to read any cue line, then you read the line until you know the line as a response to your cue line. You can then record the cue line and saying your line. Repeat this process for each line.
You can find a patient person who will your cue line and let you stumble through; correct you; you repeat the line.
You can make use of some of the new computer apps which help you work on your lines in Scene It.
You can record your lines, then listen to them as you lie in a relaxed state.
Some say one of the secrets to remembering lines is to forget everything else. Be in the moment. Think like the character.

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Gai Jones

I can answer the following questions: How can I choose the right college to study Theatre Arts? How can I prepare a monologue for audition? What do I need to study to become a Theatre educator? How can I use Theatre techniques in leadership positions? How can I implement ensemble Theatre experiences for class/cast/staff development? I prefer not to answer any questions about agent recommendations.

I have fifty years of work in Theatre education. I am an professional Theatre educator, actress, director, and producer. I have two published Theatre education books. I have taught all levels, including elementary through college/university and senior citizen acting. I have experience in leading national ensemble building experiences using Theatre techniques.

AFTRA/SAG 2002-present, EdTA member since 1968, Thespian Director, Senior Theatre League, Professional Member, Past Territorial Director/Past Regional Director, AATE Member, CA Representative, Americans for the Arts, CA Educational Theatre Association, member, membership V.P, Past President, CA Thespians, Ex Trustee, VP membership, past Director, CA Teachers Association, CAAE board member, CSUF Alumni Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, Drama Teachers Associations of So. CA, Member, Membership Secretary, Girl Scouts of America, Grady County Historical Society, Legislative Action Committee, National Educational Association, Order of the Eastern Star, Parent Teacher Student Association, USAO Alumni Association, Zeta Phi Eta

RAISING THE CURTAIN BREAK A LEG Secondary Schools of Theatre Association “Shop Talk” EdTA “Teaching Theatre” AATE “Stage and School” AATE Guest Editor and contributor “Stage of the Art” Theatre Arts Curriculum, grades s7-12 LA TIMES BACKSTAGE WEST DRAMALOGUE STAGE DIRECTIONS CETA News Journal CETA Position Paper 2007 Sage to Stage Curriculum, senior citizen Osher Institute Curriculum, CSU, Channel Islands CSU, East Bay, Curriculum professional developments

BA Speech and Drama Oklahoma College for Women MA in Theatre CSU Fulerton, CA Teacher Fullerton Union District Placentia Yorba LInda Unified District Instructor Fulleton College Associate Professor, CA State University, East Bay Workshops with NYU, Roosevelt, Northern Colorado University, University of CA, Irvine, A.C.T., University of Texas, Austin, UCLA, ComedySportzLA, Junior High Teaching Credential Life Time Standard Secondary Credential Administrative Credential

Black Box Theater renamed GAI JONES THEATER, El Dorado H.S. Placentia, CA 2002; The World’s Who’s Who of Women; Secondary Educators of America; Young Educators of America, CAAE Leader in Theatre Education; Stage Directions-Leaders in America; Outstanding Arts Educator, Orange County; CETA Outstanding Educator/Life time Achievement Award; CA State Thespians Hall of Fame; EdTA Hall of Fame.

over 25,000 students, past and present