Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Daughter cast new sitcom how do I know if this the role for her?

My 13 year old daughter has been acting since she was six years old in independent films, small TV roles, but she just finished filming a pilot for TV. We can't say the name yet, but the show is for ABC the pilot is about an off-beat family with three kids who live in the city of Washington D.C. My daughter plays the oldest sibling 13 year old Hayley who has two younger brothers 11, and 8. Her favorite activity is too gang-up with her 11 year old brother and tease their little 8 year old brother mercilessly every episode since he's the youngest. In the pilot dad has an old girl friend who comes to visit, and mom tries the whole episode to break them up.

Meanwhile my daughter's character Hayley get's annoyed at her 8 year old brother Kevin because he keeps wanting to hang-out with his older siblings! So she get's the idea to convince her little brother his adopted, and was born an accident after making up a story about how he was born, while recruiting some back-up from her 11 year brother Joey in helping tease, and torture him. While little brother Kevin freaks out the rest of the episode, and the parents are clueless which in turn means she doesn't get into trouble.

The episode is hilarious, and now we're getting film a full 22 season run because the network give the pilot a green light. How do you know if this role is right for my daughter? She really wants to keep playing the character loves it?

Of course as her parent you would have the final say in whether or not your daughter continues acting while she is not yet an adult.  If you believe the role is in some way harmful to her, or her cast mates or the crew treat her poorly, or you have morals or family values that prohibit or make it uncomfortable for your daughter to deliver certain lines, wear certain wardrobe or behave (onscreen) in a matter that conflicts with your beliefs or tolerance level, then by all means, encourage her to find another passion.

A role is only right for someone if they enjoy what they are doing, and they aren't doing harm to themselves by playing something that makes them uncomfortable.  Occasionally you might hear of parents or "stage moms" that push a child into performing when they really don't want to, but that is not typically the case.  You know your daughter best, I would trust your gut feeling, and go with that.

Good luck to you two,

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey

I can answer questions from those looking to get into the fashion or commercial modeling industry. Specifically, the requirements, what is needed, how to find an agent, what they look for, how to avoid scams, the difference between what a commercial model does, and a fashion model, would travel/relocation be required, what is on a comp card and in your portfolio.

Both my acting and modeling resume/portfolio is available online on my website. I am a member of the Screen Actors Guild, and also have available my actor's demo reel and voice-over demo online. I founded both the and websites, which provide free modeling and acting info to the public. I have moved into directing, producing and screenwriting - and have won awards for my writing. I have worked in the industry as both a model and actress in Florida, New York City and Los Angeles until October 2007. I now reside in Europe.