Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing/Charlie Chaplin Or Laurel & Hardy.

Question
Dear Kitty

Which among the two would you nominate as number one favourite criteria for comedy movies?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
For me personally, I would go with Laurel & Hardy.  Charlie Chaplin held very tight control over the development of many of his films; writing, directing, acting, editing and even composing the music himself.  Also his films tended to have more political commentary. Laurel and Hardy had more 'pure' comedy; fun and funny just for the entertainment.  I also like the examples of literary 'play on words' from Laurel and Hardy (courtesy of Wikipedia)
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be led." (Laurel, Brats)
"I was dreaming I was awake but I woke up and found meself asleep." (Laurel, Oliver the Eighth)
"A lot of weather we've been having lately." (Hardy, Way Out West)

Since I write myself, I appreciate that sort of humor more and therefore would nominate Laurel and Hardy over the great Charlie Chaplin.

Thank you for your question,
~Kitty

Careers: Acting, Performing, Directing

Kitty Kavey